AskAudio Magazine
Join Now! Watch Tutorials
macProVideo.com
Close

importing .wav files to Garageband

Login to Make a Post!
  • BryanH
  • Forum Member
Hi... very new to GB, still haven't really used it beyond messing around with it a little. I mostly use my home recording setup for demos, and do my "real" recording at my friend's professional studio.

I'm wondering if it's possible to import/export .wav files to/from GB from other setups, that are in a multi-track format. Example: my friend's studio uses the RADAR recording system - would I be able to work on a song at home on GB, then export it to his device? Or vice versa, could I import a multi-track song from his RADAR to my GB, to work on at home?

My friend mentioned "Broadcast Wave" as the .wav file format usually used for such situations. Does GB support that kind of file? Or, are you only able to import the regular 2-track .wav files to GB?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this for me!
Share this on:  Google+
  • Christian L.
  • Administrator
Hi Bryan,

It is possible to import wav files into GarageBand... you only need to drag and drop the file into your GB timeline. GB can export to AIFF when exporting to iTunes. Then you could convert it to a wav file (iTunes-Preferences-Advanced-Importing-Import using Wav encoder). However, these wav files won't be Broadcast Wave Format.
  • BryanH
  • Forum Member
thanks Christian... I knew you could import a .wav file into Garageband, but wondered if you could import a multi-track file of a song you're working on from a different machine/format, and "see" the multi-tracks, for want of a better way of putting it. Or vice-versa, for that matter. As in, say, I start a song in GB, do a few tracks - drums, bass, keyboard and guitar, let's say - then export that to a different system being used in a studio to finish up the song.

It sounds to me like that's a "no," but if you can clarify that, I'd appreciate it!
  • Christian L.
  • Administrator
Yes you can. Just import all the wav files one by one on different track. You can export them from GB by soloing the track you want to export. You repeat the process for each track. You will need to rename the track each time in iTunes, if not all the tracks will have the same name (the name of your song).
  • Oakbloke
  • Forum Member
hi Bryan

It may be too expensive a route for you to go - but Logic opens Garageband songs and then gives you access to a much more extensive list of i/o options.

I love this feature.
Just a thought.

Rich

London
  • Problems
  • Forum Member
Hey to whoever,
I have purchased some organ "samples" off the internet. I have intended to create those samples into instruments that i can manipulate. They are .wav files. How do i make these .wav files into an instrument that i can play inside garageband?
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Hi

On the lines of importing wav files, how can I do the same and import midi files from a Korg PA 50 into Garage Band without messing up the original tracks. Basically I want to break down every instrument from the midi file that came out of the Korg and work witn it in Garage Band. Didn't know where to post this. Thanks
Last Edited on Mar 26th 2008 @ 07:39 AM
  • Christian L.
  • Administrator
Do you have the MIDI files on your Mac ? Try dragging the MIDI files directly on a GarageBand software instrument track. Tell me if it works... or not.

Take care!
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Hello Christian Labbé,

Was wondering if you speak French with a nice French name like Labbé? Thank you for your speedy reply. No my files are not on my mac. They are inside the sequencer of my Korg PA 50 keyboard (the keyboard has a floppy disk drive into which I save my songs). Therein lies part of my problem. Don't know how to get them properly into Garage Band. Have tried sending them through midi as well as loading them into my mac using an external floppy disk drive. When I look at my Garage Band song, that accompanyment appears only on a single Garage Band track and the resulting sound is terrible and the instruments are indestinguishably jumbled up. For example, a rhythm section style (which I chose from a style bank in the Korg ie: guitar, bass, drum. piano accompanyment, which I can edit, add to or delete from, within the Korg keyboard) won't allow itself (the style that is - with the instruments I just mentioned in it) to be broken down and assigned to individual tracks in Garage Band. Hence the rhythm section is transferred to Garage Band all on one track. Don't know if it s Korg problem or a Garage Band problem. Let me know if you can figure it out, and where to go from there when you have the time. From Le Grands Nords, Thanks.
  • Christian L.
  • Administrator
Hi Meadowlark,

Yes, I live in Montreal and I'm French Canadian. Your from Canada too ?

I think part of your problem is that all your tracks are on the MIDI file. Would you mind uploading the .MID file on the web using http://www.sendspace.com/ and posting the link on the macProVideo forum ?

I would then be able to try to help you more..

Christian
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Bonjours Christian,

Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, est ce que ca vous dit quelque choses? Je suis anciennement du quartier, et maintenant je demeure dans le grands nords de la Baie James.

Thank you again, I am grateful for your help. I will need direction as to how I would upload the .MID file on the web and then post the link on the macProVideo forum as I am very green in the sea of technology (no pun intended). Would I do this from my Korg floppy disc drive, and if so, how would I then get it into the computer? Would I have to go through my Presonus Firepod? Or can I use an external floppy disc drive and just upload the file into my mac the way it is? And if so to all of this, then what? Thanks.
  • Christian L.
  • Administrator
Hi again! Bien sur que je connais Hochelaga-Maisonneuve! Le monde est petit. Et la Baie James... tu es courageux! Il doit faire assez froid merci.

I checked the KORG PA-50 manual and it looks like the MIDI files should be on your floppy. Drag them to your desktop and use this link to upload them : http://www.sendspace.com/

Just upload the file and it will give you a link. Copy paste the link on your next forum reply.

Take care!
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Bonjours Christian,

Oui...que le monde est petit! Il fait quands meme pas trops froid comme temperature par ici. Nous avons le meme meteo que Montreal dans mon coin. Mais le froids est sec par ici. Sans humidite, le froids est tres tolerable. (C'a fait longtemps que je n'ecris pas le Francais...les fautes d'orthographes sont surement nombreuse).

Thanks Christian I will try that approach when I get home. Computer is in one place and the internet is in the other for now. Must send my laptop out for warranty repair next week so I will try and get it done before then and let you know. Don't know how long it will be away.....backlight hardware issue. A la prochaine mon ami!
Last Edited on Mar 27th 2008 @ 01:43 PM
  • Christian L.
  • Administrator
Perfect. I'll wait for your MIDI files and I'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Bon printemps! :-)
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Et a vous aussi!
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Hi Christian,
Et bonjours du grands nords.

Don't know if it did this right. Ended up downloading sendspace's application anf managed to get one of my files on but am not sure where to go from there. Their instructions are for windows. I did download the mac application however. Have a 2 other files I would like to send you the same way. Will try. Merci et laissez moi savoir si c'a va.

Here's the paste:

"You must use the activation link below to confirm your address and complete the registration process:

Activation link: http://www.sendspace.com/confirm/meadowlark/160c7a870b54c2cd9fe3d380c95375b5

The activation link will open your personal 'Mysendspace' where you can monitor your account.

As a registered user, you may begin using the sendspace Wizard. Go to 'Tools', in the website navigation menu, and download your free copy. You will be able to upload files without even needing to go to sendspace.com. Premium users can use the Wizard for downloads too!

Thank you,

sendspace.com - The best free file sharing service."

----
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Hope its OK Christian,

File Name: HESAHAR3.MID
Size: 18KB |

Download Link:
Optional: Get an ad-free direct link:

Download Link in Forum code (for use in phpBB, vBulletin, etc):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lbn5u4
Last Edited on Mar 30th 2008 @ 11:31 AM
  • Rounik
  • Administrator
Hi Meadowlark,

I hope you don't mind that I downloaded your midi file too to try in Garageband.

I dragged the .MID file into an empty space in Garageband and 17 tracks were created but only 6 seem to have any MIDI events on them.

Is this what happens for you?

Otherwise it seems fine. You can edit them ok. I think that was your issue? Otherwise I'm sure Christian will test it out too, and my French is terrible so I didn't understand some of the earlier posts ;-)

Take care,

Rounik
  • Meadowlark
  • Forum Member
Hello Rounik,

Thank you for your help also. And no I don't mind, I need all the help I can get! That is exactly what happens for me. I barely have a hint of the basics of GB but I have the same problem. Somewhere in those extra tracks there seems to be lost instruments, and once in GB, the tracks that form the rhythm section are all clumped together on a single track.

My two biggest problems are 1) That I need to separate each of the clumped together instruments to its own track, (those are the instruments that form the accompaniment which consists of guitar, bass, drums, piano etc.) and are all stuck on one of those active tracks that you mentioned which are appearing in GB. And 2) the instruments in the Korg PA 50 with which those tracks were created all sound like toy instruments when I play them back in GB.

Once I get that figured I need to understand how to edit. As I mentioned to Christian I am very green in the technology world. And the GB manual which I printed off is quite foreign to me, but I am not giving up! Eventually I hope to be able to understand your GB tutorials which I also bought.

Thank you Rounik.
Last Edited on Mar 30th 2008 @ 01:11 PM
  • Christian L.
  • Administrator
Ok... I'm working on it. I'll try to give you a GB project as soon as possible.

Christian
Below is how your post will look once submitted.
  • Forum Member

What is macProVideo.com?

macProVideo.com is an online education community featuring Tutorial-Videos & Training for popular Audio & Video Applications including Adobe CS, Logic Studio, Final Cut Studio, and more.
© 2014 macProVideo.com
a division of NonLinear Educating Inc.
Link