Forgot password?
Join Now! Watch Tutorials
macProVideo.com
Close

DVD Studio Pro 4 Help

Login to Make a Post!
  • truth721
  • Forum Member
hey i'm new here and i have a dvd studio problem. well i created my dvd and its about 12.1GB and i'll like to compress it. i dont have Final Cut Pro but i just have the program dvd studio. is there a program besides compressor 2 to compress my dvd.(i'm burning it to my hard drive.) and also i'm having trouble with the audio. when i simulate the dvd i click the video i want to watch and there is no audio comin out how do i fix this?
Share this on:  Google+
  • Martin
  • Administrator
Welcome to the forums!

Compressor works well for encoding MPEG-2. What's the total duration of the video you are encoding, in hours?
  • truth721
  • Forum Member
well its 12 episodes and there are a lil over 200 mbs each so i guess like 237mb each i know i'll have to take a few off. umm they are about 23 mins each
  • Martin
  • Administrator
Sounds like about 6 hours of video ... sadly, you can only put about 3 hours max of MPEG-2 on a DVD disc, and that's if you encode at around 4 Mbps ... not the best quality.

However, sounds like your source footage is from the web. It's probably MPEG-1 resolution (320 X 240), so encode it to MPEG-1 instead. You can do this with compressor.

MPEG-1 is 1/4 the resolution of MPEG-2, so you can get four times as much on the disc ... certainly enough to put 6 hours of video on it.

Encoding is a pretty compex topic, more than a quick forum post can describe. Our DVDSP 101 talks about MPEG encoding in detail, right down to GOP structures:

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/masteringDVDSP
  • truth721
  • Forum Member
yea my vids are avi format. om my pc i can put about 9 eps on a dvd. and i make them avi to dvd format with winavi and i compress them with dvd shrink. but since i got a mac i was thinkin i can do more.
  • Hisham
  • Forum Member
You can do quite alot with FCP studio suite, maybe in your case, you should stick to the PC for this exercise, as you mentioned. Alternatively, and as you already have a Mac and therefore iMovie, you need to get your avi into a QT-readable format, there are some programs - maybe even free - out there that can do that. Then you can import all in iMovie, sequence all your clips/episodes and send them to iDVD even. This way - which is a bit more work - you can bypass compressor and DVD studio all along. ... just an idea ...

Cheers

Hisham
  • truth721
  • Forum Member
well for right now my pc codecs are acting up. i use winavi but the sound is white noise it never use to do that. but i will try the iMovie. But iDVD can compress things right. i mean i'm tryin to make dvds out of series and the problemt hat i have with this whole thing is overscan. i'd like to fix it. is there a way to resize the clips to actually fit the tv. And i kno how will the quality look with a macbook(13inch BLK) i'm just tryin to find a way to finally fix me video problem and create dvds. lol i find one way and it works for a while and then i have to search all over again for this philosopher stone. please let me know
  • Hisham
  • Forum Member
If you want to do what you are telling me, you really need to edit your footage. Yes, you can resize your footage (at the cost of some quality) using iMovie. once you are happy with your iMovie sequence, share it to iDVD from within iMovie. There are other methods but just stick to this as it is the 'quicker' way.

Your iMovie will not import avi - as far as I know. But you can convert your avi into .mov or QT-based, so that iMovie can import it without a problem. When you do the conversion, also check if the sound has been converted as well.

iDVD can compress to MPEG2, so there is no problem there. But before sending anything to iDVD, your footage has to be ok (with sound and pic).

Cheers
  • Martin
  • Administrator
I have not tried it myself, but this pug might let you import avis directly into DVDSP ... let us know if it works, 'cause I'm curious:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28842

• truth721
  • Forum Member
[quote:1002]I have not tried it myself, but this pug might let you import avis directly into DVDSP ... let us know if it works, 'cause I'm curious:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28842

i have VLC the media player. i'm gonna try the iMovie idea but importing my avi's takes too long but i'll bare with it.
  • Martin
  • Administrator
The plugin I mention should let you use avi files without importing or converting them ... it works with quicktime, so you could always open the files in quicktime and export them to a more freindly format ...
  • Driznacc
  • Forum Member
Do you plan on updating the training to DVDSP 4 since A.Pac is now inside of compressor?
  • truth721
  • Forum Member
its ok, i fixed my converter on my pc, and i'll just use dvd shrink to fit my media on dvd so i should get like 4 hours on dvds or 3 hours
  • Martin
  • Administrator
[quote:2998]Do you plan on updating the training to DVDSP 4 since A.Pac is now inside of compressor?

We'll update the AC-3 training soon ... the concepts are still exactly the same though. The rest of the DVDSP tutorials do cover version 4.
Below is how your post will look once submitted.
  • Forum Member

What is macProVideo.com?

macProVideo.com is an online education community featuring Tutorial-Videos & Training for popular Audio & Video Applications including Adobe CS, Logic Studio, Final Cut Studio, and more.
© 2014 macProVideo.com
a division of NonLinear Educating Inc.
Link