Jomox announced their new analog drum machine, Alpha Base, recently. At Superbooth 2017 we had the opportunity to get hands on with this beast of a beat machine. It sounds good!
At Superbooth 2017 we caught up with Jurgen from Jomox to get an in-depth video and audio demo of the new Alpha Base analog drum machine. It's been teased for a while, and now finally we're able to get hands-on and dirty with this completely re-designed variation of their other classic machines.
Here's some spec to satisfy your gear lust:
- 11 Instruments:
Kick Drum, MBrane, Cl HiHat, Op HiHat, Clap, Rim Shot, Crash, Ride, X Sample 1, X Sample 2, FM Synth.
- Real analog Jomox kick drum.
- Real analog Jomox MBrane voice with 2 coupleable F-OSC for complex analog snare, percussion, bass and tom sounds ranging from 16Hz to 20kHz.
- 2 sample based instruments with analog VCA ADSR envelope and/or HH filter, optionally with metallic noise mixed as extra sound source. The HH filter is 2-pole, HP/LP/Res each separated parameters, peakable but not oscillating.
- 4 sample based instruments with analog VCA ADSR envelope and/or resonating multimode filter (LP, HP, BP) with ADSR envelope, optionally with metallic noise mixed as extra sound source. The multimode filter can be used as a signal generator in order to generate analog toms or sticks etc.
- 2 sample based instruments with external sampling input and pure digital playback.
- 1 FM synth with 4 operators and max. 6 voices for percussive sounds.
- Effects delay, reverb with send per instrument, also insertable into analog signal path on CH, OH, Clp, Rim, Ride.
- LFOs: per instrument one LFO (MBrane 2 LFOs) with 64 wave forms, each assignable on pitch, VCA, filter cutoff.
- 250 samples 16 Bit/48kHz in internal flash memory.
- SD card slot for loading of samples.
- Midi In, Midi Out, Midi Thru.
- DIN sync out 2x integrated in the jacks Midi Out or Midi Thru.
- Inputs: stereo in for sampling, FX or sidechain. Both inputs are Hi-Z and suitable for guitar/bass or work up to line level +20dBu.
- Outputs: 8 individual balanced outputs, stereo mix balanced, headphones.
- Output Level: max. ca.+14dBu unbalanced, +20dBu balanced on all outputs.
- Input Volume, Phones Volume and Mix Volume are analog potentiometers.
- LCD display 2x24 characters.
- 12V 2A DC external power supply.
- Wood side cheeks, rubber feet.
- Size: 41cm (16.1") x 24cm (9.5") x 8cm (3.2") (back side).
- Weight: ca. 3.3kg (7.26 lbs).