Research experts IRCAM have come up with yet another clever application for working with audio in the form of TheSnail, a multi-talented piece of software that the developers describe as "a very high-precision frequency-domain analyzer that delivers an easy to understand representation of sounds based on the scales and notes aligned in spectrally active zones. It offers a new way of tuning and analyzing an instrument in an extremely accurate way, displaying intonation and visualizing music and sounds in a way that can help anyone improve their listening and intonation."
Currently available as a plugin for Mac OS X and Windows, it is also coming to iOS in the next couple of months.
- Simple intuitive interface
- Ultimate accuracy in tuning
- Different combinations of views available
- Audio player with waveform display to allow analysis of any song or sound
- Live input for tuning of external sources
- Tuner mode or Music mode
- Adjustable Tuning Reference pitch
- Transposing feature
- Display of phase relationships possible
- Hz information display (* new with version 1.2.4)
- User adjustable colour schemes
TheSnail comes in all plugin formats for Mac OS X and Windows and costs $49.
Read more about it here.