macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Alex83pearl
    Advice for Mac Mini users
    Hi, as I were listening to a part I had just recorded in Ableton Live, the screen suddenly freezed. I were composing since 5 hours, and my HD burned.. I took it to an apple repair center, and they told me Mac minis were so much compact that there warming very fast, like the laptops. So my new year's resolution is: Don't use the Mac mini more than 2 hours... I even think putting a little ventilator right at the back of the computer... To tell you the details, I lost all my compositions(35), and must pay 200$(180â?¬) for a new HD.. So, my only advice is, don't stay all night long using your mac mini without interuption..
  • Martin Delaney
    Re: Advice for Mac Mini users
    Alex, that's BAD news! So far I've been quite lucky with computer failures, I've had to return a couple of laptops, but never lost any data. Thanks for posting this, it's a remind to us all to SAVE regularly, and to BACKUP frequently! :-)
  • Alex83pearl
    Yep, an external HD is quite essential. My own personal 300Go external HD, wasn't still formated to mac, so it was still impossible to save my compositions.. I won't do this mistake anymore...
  • Martin
    Oh man ... I feel your pain!! It might help to use a widget like this so you can see when you are about to melt down .. this monitors CPU heat: [url]http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/minicpuheat.html[/url] Darn ... sorry to hear about this issue Alex83pearl!
  • Alex83pearl
    Thanx Martin! What an useful widget! Following the link you gave, I found this widget that also includes CPU heat with more informations..[url]http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatnano.html[/url] The good point in this story, it's that I'm singing all day long the 3 or 4 best songs in my head not to loose them totally... In the end I havn't lost it all...
  • Martin
    Widgets to the rescue! This is also a big problem with laptops, although usually you hear the fans humming so loud you can't hear the music you're working on any more ... wither that or the laptop starts melting it's way through your legs ... also a good indicator ... ;)
  • Alex83pearl
    Not false... ;) It's true laptops are very concerned by the temperature problems, the Apple Center told me that at least half of the laptops problems were coming from this... But Dj's can't move a G5 macPro to a dance club three nights or more by week...
  • Alex83pearl
    Mac Mini: born again!!
    Uhu, my mac mini is back! I'm installing again all my softwares; such a loss of time(protools is a pain to install)... But I'm so glad to handle again all my possibilities... However the "CPU heat" widget refuses to tell me the temperature of my CPU! Is it because the HD isn't the original? Thanx a lot for the moral support, I was agreably surprised to receive a bit of warmth fom people who don't even know me.
  • Martin
    Re: Mac Mini: born again!!
    [quote:7252]Thanx a lot for the moral support, I was agreably surprised to receive a bit of warmth fom people who don't even know me.[/quote] That's what we're here for! :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: