macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tony
    Question for Martin D
    Hi Martin, I've had the Live 6 vid for some time and am finally getting to the thick of it. Good stuff for someone who needs some pointers. I have a couple questions from the vid. From the end of Chapter #48 (re copy and paste of the automation of that crossfade move), What would actually be cut and pasted? Is that the same as an 'Envelope' copy and paste? Or would the copy and paste of this be only related to a crossfade including the soundwave? Also, Chapter #54 re setting up 'aggregate devices' and routing to headphones on an audio interface. I use a Mac and an XStation as my audio interface for studio use, but want to use the Cue function sometimes. I can't find out how to get this happening. Can you help me out here? Thanks, Tony Mac G5 10.4.8
  • Martin Delaney
    Re: Question for Martin D
    Hi Tony, good to hear from you, sorry for the slow reply - I've been rearranging my email and web setup...but that's enough about me! Your questions: 1) In the crossfader movie, I'm talking about copying the envelope/automation only, although there's no reason why you couldn't copy the audio clips too, if you wanted to - it just depends what you select in the arrangement view before using the copy command. 2) are you clear on creating an aggregate device? I hope i explained it well enough. It will give you extra stereo or mono available outputs in Live. I'm using the X-Station too, and I know it works. I'm sending the main output to the X-Station, and the cue output to my Mac's headphone out. It's usually just a matter of figuring out which pair is which - ie are 1/2 or 3/4 the main out, and making the right selection in Live's Cue Out and Master Out boxes (in the master track, when you have I-Os visible). If there's anything else you can tell me about where exactly you're running into problems, I'll do my best to help.
  • Tony
    Hi Martin, and thanks for getting back, The aggregate device thing eludes me. When I went to that preferences page, I couldn't figure out what to do from there. As standard I have the X station as my audio input and output device.(1/2.) I can't see 'aggregate devices' as a choice option. You make mention of the seperate movie--"Live and Multiple Audio Interfaces" -- which number is that in the Tutorial? Maybe that will explain everything. Can I route the Cue to the 'phones in the Xststion. or do I need to use the ones on the Mac? Thanks again, Tony
  • Martin Delaney
    Hi again Tony, The Multiple Audio Interfaces movie is number 7, I believe. Anyway, here's the steps for configuring Aggregate Devices: 1. Connect your X-Station to your Mac (yeah, I know, stating the obvious). 2. Go to the Utilities folder, and launch Audio MIDI Setup. 3. Click on the 'Audio Devices' tab at the top of the Audio MIDI Setup window. 4. From the Audio menu, choose 'Open Aggregate Device Editor'. 5. Click on the + sign below the upper window, to add a new aggregate device. 6. Rename the new aggregate device if you want to. 7. The lower window shows all available audio ins/outs - in your case it should show Built-in Audio (2 in 2 out), and X-Station Audio (2 in 2 out). 8. Check the 'Use' box at the left of both of these. 9. Then click 'Done' to close that window, and quit Audio MIDI Setup. 10. Launch Ableton Live, and go to the Preferences/Audio tab. Choose the new Aggregate Device as your Audio Output Device. 11. Click on the Output Config button below the Audio Output Device to see teh list of available outputs. Disable the mono outputs, and activate 1/2 (stereo) and 3/4 (stereo). Click OK to close this window, then close preferences. 12. Choose View In/Out. From the bottom of the Master track, you can choose Cue Out and Master Out. Click on either of these boxes, and the stereo pairs from your Aggregate Device will be available. 13. If your setup works the same as mine, 3/4 will be your master stereo output, and 1/2 will be your cue output - plug your headphones into your Mac's headphone output to prelisten. - As far as I can tell, it's not possible to route the Cue to the XStation headphone out if you're using the XStation as your main stereo out. Hope that all helps! :-)
  • Tony
    Hi Martin, Thanks for the heads up. The only problem is that my 'Open Aggregate Device Editor' in the Audio Menu is greyed out. I'm not all that clever with all this stuff, but the Audio Midi Utility seems to be in order. Maybe I could email you screen shots to check out? Tony
  • Martin Delaney
    Tony...check item no.3 in my last message...if you don't click the Audio tab, as opposed to the MIDI tab, Aggregate Device Editor won't be available - maybe that's it. Otherwise, yeah, send some screen shots to me at laptopmusic@mac.com Have a good weekend! :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: