macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Stevesaxman
    Cool setups?
    There has been some discussion around people using Live for actual live, non-DJ performance. I was just thinking that it would be neat to share some set-ups to see what others are doing and how they incorporate the software. For example: I am running the most current version of Live on a Macbook Pro I have a powered USB hub in one port of the computer and my axiom 61 keyboard controller in the other port From the hub, I have an APC40 for launching scenes and mapping to effects and live looping. I also use this to select midi tracks. However, I use dummy clips with "program" change info to change banks within each midi track upon scene change. I also mapped the banks to my axiom for even more freedom and control. Next in line is my Kore controller from Native Instruments. I love this thing, its totally cool and NI is totally lame for discontinuing its production (that's another post though, lol). From there, I have a korg padkontrol for percussion work or whatever I feel like playing....sometimes I play mallet-like instruments....another cool thing with this controller is more aesthetic. You can program it to do visual patterns which may sound silly but it looks cool on a dark stage. Being familiar with the korg editor librarian is essential for getting the most out of this piece of gear. It will allow one to have multiple "pre-sets" or controller pages so that you can quickly change how the unit functions on the fly. Last in the chain is my rigkontrol 3 pedal board which came with Guitar Rig 3. I should probably mention (if you haven't guessed by my name) that I play saxophone, not guitar. I run my mic line into my Motu 828 and have that coming in on an audio track. I then put the Guitar Rig 3 plugin on an "send A". The reason for this is so that I can send both a dry and an effected signal to the soundguy. This is helpful when playing different rooms as they all behave differently. I jokingly say that I'm a guitar player trapped in a saxophonist's body. All joking aside, having the ability to change effects on a horn is sweet and totally independant of the sound man. In addition, I can use the looper on Guitar Rig to quickly layer and overdub parts to create a thick horn section vibe that is actual horns. As a twist, our drummer plays Vdrums and I run him into Ableton as an external device. He has his own channel in Ableton with Battery loaded up and some really cool stuff happens with that, He will soon be getting Live on his MBP and I will run him as a slave to keep everything in sync. I run the metronome out to an in-ear monitor for him to hear click in one ear while we are playing. Additionally, I have a vocal mic, a flute mic (both effected) and a third mic that I use for vocoder stuff which is my current favorite thing. It made me and my buddy laugh like little schoolgirls for about an hour the other day. It's so much fun to use. Everything plays nice together for the most part. Sometimes the NI plugins make things a little "crashy" for lack of a better term. Everything is up to date so I'm gonna do a repair permissions and I also want to start using a FW800 external drive for my sets connected thru my MOTU....That will work, right? I'm thinking this will increase performance abilities although I don't think I've ever gone over 25% CPU usage. I'll try to get around to positing some pics soon. Hopefully, this is interesting to someone else out there, I'd like to see this forum pick up a bit....until then, keep rockin'!!
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Cool setups?
    Hi Stevesaxman, Sounds like you have quite the setup. Sounds very impressive. Would definitely like to see pictures of your setup. Thanks for sharing.
  • Stevesaxman
    Hey Gary, Sorry for the delay in posting some pics, but here are a couple to get the idea. I use the 5 pedals from left to right for Triggering scene, Organ swell, sustain, loop record start/stop for active track, and the last one is for turning the MPK61's arpeggiator on/off. The GR3 pedal is used to control patches for my saxophone which is loads of fun :-) [url=http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/files/mpv_41846_105057_photo_(1).JPG] [img]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/thumbnails/mpv_41846_105057_photo_(1).JPG[/img] [/url] [url=http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/files/mpv_41846_105057_photo.JPG] [img]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/thumbnails/mpv_41846_105057_photo.JPG[/img] [/url]
  • GaryHiebner
    Nice! Thanks for the photos. Always interesting to see others setups. Who else has some pictures for us?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: