macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Stevesaxman
    Lights with Ableton?
    Are there any people out there using Ableton Live to also trigger lights? I'm interested in any resources the fine people here at MPV could provide. Hope everyone had a lovely holiday!!! Thanks, Steve
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Lights with Ableton?
    Do you mean lights that are used in live venues? I'm sure this could be done in Ableton and OSC messages. What light gear are you using? Do you have Max For Live? I'm sure this could be used very well. Jitter, which is apart of the Max MSP application is meant to be used which video applications and triggering. Take a look here on more details on Jitter ([url]http://cycling74.com/products/max/video-jitter/[/url]). I see many users are using OSC devices like the Wi remote to send OSC messages to sound applications to control video and audio. So yes there are ways to do this. Let us know you setup and we can see if we can provide you with further information.
  • Stevesaxman
    Thanks, Gary. Ummmm, my setup does not exist for lights. My Ableton rig is sweet though, lol. I'm just looking for what seems to be most intuitive to those using Live/Max for light control so I can plan what is needed to execute for our live show. I don't think I would want to go the osc route (using a wii remote, etc)since that seems more gimmicky to me than practical and our lighting engineer will not be on stage. Therefore, A more traditional lightboard from a manufacturer like Chauvet or Martin will probably be what we will use to "patch in" to existing house lights. We will also likely adorn the stage with various LEDs that have not yet been purchased. I know there are some cool panels, spots, movers, etc that are available and designed with expandability in mind should we have success...or should I say the money, lol. That being said, what we would like to accomplish is to have "scenes" in the lighting software (any suggestions welcome for Mac user) that are triggered based on the scenes triggered in Ableton Live. Also, I don't have Max just because I was hoping to hold out for the release of 9 where it is included. I always like to have the most current version and since it's release seems immenant, I thought I would wait on that. Any word on release date yet? Thanks again for any future suggestions as well as the links already provided ;-) Happy New Year, friend :-)
  • GaryHiebner
    I don't know too much about this. But from the little research I did it look like a DMX controller will be the best, and you can get SUB-to-DMX interface converters. Such as: [url]http://www.db-audioware.com/dmxis.html[/url] [url]http://www.anyma.ch/research/udmx/[/url] Maybe also check out some of the other VJ software that is available and see which one will sync best with Ableton. Maybe some of the other users with experience on this can give their thought. If I find out anything else I'll post it here. Ableton 9 is set to be released in the first quarter 0f 2013, so its very soon. They currently have a special on where if you pay for the upgrade now its at a reduced rate. So that might be worth doing if you definitely thinking of going up to Ableton 9. It definitely seems like the best plan with Max For Live being bundled with it. I have just been getting into Max and the possibilities are endless. There is a big learning curve, but it allow you to be more customizable with your Ableton setup and the Max devices.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: