macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student469162
    Re: Equalizer
    I enclose your video, where you can see, you hit to the two outer bells (symbols' name?) and curve goes up. Then you hit to the middle bell, and curve goes down. Why it goes down, and why other 2 goes up and how can I choose up or down the curve by my wish? also, you say there "mids". What are mids? The curve near line? If I tried in my gb the eq and hit the bells, no curve appeared, only dots on the line appeared. https://youtu.be/BRXa78-CxFk
  • Joe A
    Mids refers to midrange frequencies, from around 200 Hz up to around 8kHz or so. In the GB EQ, if you want to boost, you drag up on the [center frequency] dot; it you want to cut, you drag down on the [center frequency] dot. I don't know what you mean by "hit the bells", but, again, if you want to boost or cut you have to drag one of the dots up or down. All of this is explained and demonstrated in the various videos..
  • Student469162
    I enclose the video, where curve goes up and down (boosting and cutting), but I can't see that you drag the dots up and down. Mainly the dots not even are seen on this video. Dragging the dots it happens by mouse (trackpad), right? I understand there are dots I put on a cursor and drag, but on this video curve moves without dragging the dots.. https://youtu.be/lFbMxmqNfPE
  • Joe A
    Did you try it? You can click & hold on a dot with the mouse and drag -- if you have a trackpad then do whatever you normally do on the trackpad to click and drag *. Alternatively, the EQ bands can also be adjusted by dragging on the Gain number associated with that band, which is what's being done at times in some of the videos [I mentioned this in a previous post in this thread, and it can be seen clearly in some of the videos]. Either way, if you try it, it will work.. * https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/drag-and-drop-items-mh35852/10.15/mac/10.15 Btw, I notice that occasionally the dots fail to show up in the GB EQ display -- no doubt another bug. If that happens, the EQ still works, you can just click & drag from anywhere on the horizontal center line in the display [switching to another application and back to GB seems to make the dots show up].
  • Student469162
    Yes I tried to click&hold&drag the dots, they are moving up and down, but then I see the cursors's arrow on the picture (EQ). On the your video I don't see the arrow (cursor of trackpad or mouse). How is that? Just curve moves, but not arrow is seen... ? If you move the dots with mouse or trackpad, then they are will be seen on the picture as arrow (cursor). On your video arrow not is seen, thus it means you moved the line without mouse or trackpad. How you did that? By the help of Gain number? Or how? What means Gain number? Is it a knob (symbol), what I can hit?
  • Joe A
    As I explained in the previous post[s], if the curve seems to move on its own then the Gain number is being dragged. The Gain number is same as the dot -- if you click a particular dot to select that EQ band, then you can either drag the dot or the associated Gain number, and the result will be the same. You're overthinking this -- If the EQ is working for you when you click & drag either the dots or the Gain numbers, then don't worry about whether it looks exactly like the video..
  • Student469162
    OK, I got it, it works. Thanks! Now I have another question. I enclose a video, where you can see 8 symbols above the dots/line. 4 middle ones are the same, how do you call them? I saw a video where was told they are bells.. (what ever it means).. Well, are these symbols associated to the dots (area) below (of them) ? As you see on the video, 3 last symbols affect the area below of them, but first symbols affects area below of last symbol, not its area (first area). Why they are affecting area below of them and why the first symbol doesn't affect area below of itself? https://youtu.be/z3_LFkY25_Y
  • Joe A
    The symbols represent the EQ bands. By default they correspond to the dots below them on the graph, but since it's possible to move the center frequency of each band anywhere you want, it's possible to move a band's frequency away from the band symbol above it -- apparently this is what you have done [with the yellow band]. The band symbols and the dots are color-coded to show which dot is associated with each band. The four middle bands are bell curves -- the different types of EQ curves [bell curve vs shelving] are explained in video #7 of the Audiopedia course, linked in a previous post in this thread [filters are explained in the previous videos in that same course]..
  • Student469162
    You write I moved a band's frequency away from the band symbol above it. How I did that and what if I don't want to move a band's frequency away from the band symbol above is? If I want that first symbol affects the area below of it, not that it moves (the first symbol) to the dot of a last symbol (bell curve's) area?
  • Joe A
    If you watched the recommended videos you'll have seen that in a parametric EQ you can not only boost or cut at the default frequency to apply EQ but you can also change that [center] frequency range of each EQ band by dragging the dot to the left or right, which is obviously what you did. If you want to add EQ in a particular frequency range and don't want to move the center frequency of a particular band too far from the associated EQ band symbol at the top, then just don't drag a band's dot too far to the left or right, just use a different band that's closer to the desired frequency range -- it's as simple as that. Again, this is all explained in detail and shown in the videos linked in previous posts.. Of course, it doesn't really make a difference if the bands and the symbols are lined up -- you apply EQ at the frequencies you feel it's needed, whatever they are, and if you have to move some bands away from the graphics at the top, that's fine -- that's why they're color-coded, so you can still see which band is which..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: