macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student457605
    Midi Keyboard problem
    Hello I bought a cheep midi keyboard to use with GarageBand. When I use it, I often experience that the sound don’t stop when I use it as electrical piano or some of the synth sounds. This is quite annoying, and I’m wondering if someone knows what the problem is. Aslak
  • Joe A
    Re: Midi Keyboard problem
    Hi Aslak - If you're talking about notes from a GB virtual instrument that continue to ring out after you release the key[s], then those are called "stuck notes"—it's an occasional problem with MIDI. It could be caused by various things—a loose connection, system issues, a sustain pedal issue, missed note-off messages, etc.. Some things to troubleshoot: - Try the standard troubleshooting tests: close/re-open GB; shut [power-] down the computer & restart - If the keyboard has a sustain pedal jack make sure it's not working in reverse [due to opposite wiring in the pedal's cable] - If the keyboard has a sustain pedal jack and you're not using it, try plugging one in—sometimes stray voltage can cause the keyboard to act as if there's a pedal depressed - Try working in different sessions/songs [GB Projects], to see if the issue is specific to one song or always happens - Try different GB virtual instruments to see if the issue to specific to certain instruments - Try a different MIDI or USB cable from the keyboard—it could be a loose/bad connection - If the keyboard is connected to a USB hub, try connecting it directly instead—extra overhead on a hub might cause lost note-off messages, the usual cause of stuck MIDI notes [some audio/MIDI devices recommend against being connected through a hub] - If possible, try working with another keyboard for a while and see if the issue goes away—it could be caused by cheap keyboard construction/connections
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: