macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Sophialee
    How to turn off the metronome in Garageband?
    I despise the metronome in GarageBand, as it always begins to tick as I start to record something. Does anyone know a way to turn it off FOR GOOD? so that it doesn't turn on for every new song?
  • Joe A
    Re: How to turn off the metronome in Garageband?
    Hi Sophialee - As you probably already know, in the top (Control Bar) area of GB the two purple buttons just to the right of the bar/beat display allow you to turn the Metronome Click and Countoff on or off (independently)—apparently when you make a new song (from Empty Project) these will both be turned back on by default, though it's easy to turn them off. You could create a new (blank) song, turn the Metronome off, and save it to use as a template (you could even get it to appear in the "New Project Factory Templates" dialog box (see below), but it's probably easier to just kill the click as soon as you create each new song. I assume you know how to turn the click on or off, but just in case.. If you click the Metronome (triangle) button once it'll turn grey—that'll turn it off during both Record and Playback. When you Record, you'll still hear the countoff for a bar, but when the recording actually begins there'll be no Click. If you don't even want the countoff, you can also click once on the 1234 button to turn that off as well—then recording will begin as soon as you hit the Record button (or press "R"). It may be more trouble than it's worth, but if you really wanted to create a No-Click Template and add it to the Factory Templates area of the New Project dialog box, here's how.. Create the No-Click Template [as above] and save it—it'll be in ~/Music/GarageBand. Make a copy, and then go to the Applications folder, right-click on the GarageBand application, and choose "Open Package Contents"; open the Contents folder, open the Resources folder, scroll down to Project Templates, and drop your copy of the No-Click Template GB file into it. Now when you go to open a new GB project, your No-Click Template will appear under the usual list of Factory Templates—there'll be no picture, but you will be able to open it. [Like I said, probably more trouble than it's worth, and you'd likely have to set it up again every time you upgrade GB, but it does work].
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: