macProVideo.com
Forums
  • zhivago
    Problem opening Garageband project files...
    Hi everyone, I am trying to open several Garageband files that my friend has sent me. We are both on MacBook Pros, both running Catalina, both running the latest version of Garageband. When he sends me a file (via email or WeTransfer), it arrives zipped up. I unzip it, double-click the file to open. Garageband comes up and gives me a "save" popup menu. I click "save" and then another popup comes up saying "the file couldn't be opened". This has happened every time he has sent me a file back, and I have not been able to open any of his files. When I create a new Garageband file and email it over, he can open/edit it with no problems. Has anyone come across this problem before? It is so strange. Many thanks in advance, guys!
  • Joe A
    Re: Problem opening Garageband project files...
    Hi Zhivago - A few things come to mind.. - It sounds like you're using the proper procedure to exchange files, but sometimes transfer sites have trouble exchanging Logic/GB projects, since they're really folders disguised as files—usually zipping the project is the solution, but it sounds like you're already doing that. Maybe try using an alternate transfer site, like DropBox..? - To isolate whether the problem is with the files themselves, or if something is happening to them in transit, can you try exchanging them directly, maybe via flash drive (in person if your friend is local, or by snail-mailing a flash drive as a test) - The problem could be on your friend's side—maybe the GB files are not getting saved/re-saved correctly, or not being zipped correctly? Does the problem happen on files he created on his computer, or only on files you sent him, or both? If not both, that could help pinpoint where the problem is originating - Try opening the files under another (test) user, in case it's some kind of user or permissions issue - If your GB files include audio, try exchanging a file without audio (Instrument tracks only), just as a test - Try running GB (on either/both ends) with built-in audio instead of a third-party interface Those last three come from Apple's guidance on GB files that won't open (see the URL below). Of course, Catalina is the wild card here—even though it's been out for a while, there still may be lingering issues.. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205927
  • zhivago
    Hi Joe, many thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions and report back :-) all the best, zhivago/John
  • zhivago
    Hi everyone, I wanted to post an update to this, just in case someone in the future has the same problem. I almost went insane trying to figure this out, and in the end, the only work-around I could find was to do the following: 1. Open your file in Garageband 2. In the top menu bar, select "Share" > "Mail..." 3. In the popup that appears, make sure to select the "project" option in the "Share As" bit 4. Hit "Share" 5. Mail then opens up a new email window with your file on there. It is usually super-huge to email, and even if I manage to email it through, it doesn't open in the other end, so I then do the following: 6. Drag the GB file from the email window to your desktop 7. Copy that file to something like Dropbox, and share the direct link. The file now opens up on the other end. Complete pain in the backside, but at least it works, I guess :-)
  • Joe A
    Hi Zhivago - I'm glad you got it working, though it does seem like there should be a more direct way to do it.. I would think that if you can grab the attached zipped GB Project file from Mail and send it via DropBox, then you should be able to do it without the extra step of going through Mail—you should be able to just go directly to the GB folder where the Projects are stored ( ~/Music/GarageBand ), zip the Project ( right-click, choose "Compress [Project Name]" ), upload that to DropBox, and share from there (as you're doing). The key is to make sure the file is zipped—DropBox is known to have issues with Logic/GB Project files (which are really packages—folders disguised as files) if they're not zipped. Btw, any GB Project file that has audio recorded in it will usually be too big to attach to an email, but a GB Project that has no audio (only MIDI/Instrument tracks) should be small enough to be able to be sent as an attachment.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: