macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pete1987
    Flatten out wave
    Hi. I just signed up to the forum. Hoping somebody can help me: I'm wondering if there is a way to make a recorded track the same volume. Not by automation. For eg. I recorded bass guitar, but some sections are quieter..and some louder as I was plucking harder or softer. Is there a way to flatten out the whole track volume so it is the same? Any advice is helpful. Thanks Pete.
  • Pete1987
    Re: Flatten out wave
    I believe I found the solution.: "Compressor Threshold"
  • Joe A
    Hi Pete - Yes, a Compressor will lower the level of the louder parts of the track [levels above the Threshold]—in the GB Smart Control panel ["B"] you'd set the Threshold [labeled Amount] so the Compressor kicks in only on the louder notes [using the LED meter as a reference]; if you open the Compressor plug-in window you'll see that the Amount control actually is the Compressor Threshold control, and you'll have additional controls—Ratio determines how aggressive the compression is [typical settings might be around 3:1 or 4:1, higher for sharp percussive instruments like drums or slap bass], and [makeup] Gain sets the appropriate overall level for the track. Within the plug-in window you'll also find some presets for different instruments, which you could call up to get a feel for appropriate settings—but keep in mind Threshold must always be set by hand for the current track. This video covers the basics of compression—it shows the Compressor plug-in in Logic, but the information applies to any compressor [and remember, GB is really a simplified version of Logic under the hood]..
  • Pete1987
    Thank you Joe. Very helpful information to me 👍 I'm a complete amateur to GB. Still trying to wrap my brain around it. For years I've used Adobe audition,but thought GB might be better. Its every different interface. Cheers Pete.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: