macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Joe A
    Re: MIDI connection to Garageband
    Hi - I'm a little unclear when you say "just 1 green line in the volume input on garageband" -- that would seem to indicate audio input rather than MIDI input [the topic of this thread]. But at any rate if there is audio signal present in GB but it's so low that you can only see/hear it with the all playback levels cranked up, then I can think of several things to check.. - Make sure the overall level set in the Master Track is [ideally] at Unity Gain [0.0 slider level] and not set unusually low -- that would affect the level of all signals coming out of GB If you're talking about an Audio track or Instrument [MIDI] track, then the track signal level is where problems would be addressed.. - In either case check that the Track Volume slider is not too low [should be in the upper half of the slider's range] - An Instrument track with too low a level might be caused by a reduced volume setting within the Instrument itself or a loss of volume from a plug-in in that channel - check levels in all plug-ins [Instrument & effects] via the Smart Controls pane ["B"] - An Instrument track with too low a level could also be caused by very low MIDI Velocities in the MIDI Region[s] -- check them, and check to see if your MIDI keyboard is not outputting the full range of MIDI Velocities [0-127] - An Audio track with too low a level could also be because of a loss of volume from a plug-in in that channel -- check levels in all plug-ins [effects] via the Smart Controls pane ["B"] - If an Audio track with too low a level has a very small waveform then the recorded level -- the input level of the audio signal -- is too low; in that case it should be raised either at the source or via the input level control on the interface You should be able to have normal overall volume levels coming out of GB with your playback system set at the same listening level as with other computer sources [iTunes, YouTube, etc].
  • Student471041
    Thank you for your response. I have been testing since your answer. I will number the questions, if you do not mind. 1. It is connected to a 5-pin to USB converter directly to a USB port. 2. No, I have not. 3. No , but I am testing simultaneously with Midi Monitor. 4. No. No load. Ok. Here are my results. Midi seems to be very sensitive to electrical issues. Thus simply plugging my Mac Book Air to the adapter, or plugging the Mac to the mixing board makes noise midi event to appear. But, in a stable configuration, here it is what it happens. By some strange reason, press events appear on channel 4, but release events appear on channel 1. I don't know if it is due to my Roland Em-10 keyboard or the 5-pin to USB converter, probably the first. By the way, it happens only if between both events little time passes. For example, if more than a second passes, press and release appear on same channel. Behavior gets more complicated when several keys are pressed (usually if little time passed all events appear on channel 1). For some strange reasons (again) GB interprets this channel anomaly differently depending on the sound selected. For example, for Orchestral - chorus - ... release event is interpreted correctly, though channel is different. But for others the release event is ignored, keeping the sound. I am not a midi expert, but I think that press and release should be on the same channel, it seems intuitive to me. So it may not be a GB issue. What really confused me is that the keyboard (cmd+k) behaves correctly with release event on different channel (i.e. it shows the key released). I will go on trying, but any comments are welcome.
  • Joe A
    Hi - Assuming when you say channel you mean MIDI channel [as shown in MIDI Monitor], then if you see MIDI events from the keyboard on different MIDI channels -- especially note-ons and note-offs on different MIDI channels -- that's most definitely an issue with what the keyboard is transmitting, GB wouldn't have any reason to change that. If note-ons and note-offs are channelized incorrectly I'm not surprised you may at times get stuck notes or other anomalies, depending on the particular patch [i.e. if it's a sustaining or naturally-decaying sound]. In case you don't have access to them, here are links to the owner's manual and MIDI manual for that Roland keyboard: http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/EM-10_OM.pdf?_ga=2.34175329.1575225083.1603313656-1669916741.1603313656 http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/EM-50_30_20_10_MI.pdf?_ga=2.34175329.1575225083.1603313656-1669916741.1603313656 In the owner's manual on page 64 there are instructions for doing a factory reset -- unless you have sounds or settings of your own saved in the keyboard, it might not be a bad idea to try that and see if it clears things up..
  • Student471041
    Thank you very much for your answer. I will try a reset.
  • Student471041
    I've done a fatory reset. And everything remains the same. The midi channel anomaly could be electrical issues. I've got to try with another midi conversor. Thanks for yout help.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: