macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student461375
    wrong MIDI velocity in Garageband
    Hi! I have a problem, when using Garageband (10.3.4). When connecting my Nord Piano 4, I can get key velocities between 32 and 127. I can't get values between 1 and 31. I doesn't matter, whether I use the Garageband Software instruments or plugins (Addictive Keys or Wave Electric88). The funny thing: When I use the standalone apps from Addictive Keys or Electric88, I do get all MIDI-velocities between 1 and 127. Also my MIDI monitor tells me, that the keyboard is working just fine. How can I record notes in Garageband with velocities from 1 to 32, whithout editting the notes one by one?
  • Joe A
    Re: wrong MIDI velocity in Garageband
    Hi - I'm going to guess that you may have the Keyboard Sensitivity setting [Smart Controls pane "B"] set to maximum [More]—I got the exact same limitation when I tried it in that maximum position [Vel 32-127 only]. Try setting it to the default value [Option-click to set it to Neutral]—that should pass all Velocity values from the keyboard as is [w/ the same keyboard I get Vel 1-127]. [Apparently at max it adds 32 to all incoming MIDI Velocity values, maxing out at 127]. Oddly, while that setting seems to be global, it appears to change [increase] very slightly on its own when I go from track to track, so you might want to check/reset it before each recording. Keep in mind that there are probably Velocity settings on the Nord keyboard as well, that affect the Velocity *curve*, to fine-tune the playing response.
  • Student461375
    Hi Joe, Thanks for the prompt answer! I do have a KBD TOUCH button in the piano section of my NORD Keyboard, but i doesn't affect the midi output. Nor does any other alternation, I do on the NORD... The midi output remains the same. The keyboard gives me VEL 1-127 in standalone apps and my midi monitor. Only in Garageband am I unable to get VEL values from 1 to 31. (tried apple Garageband support - they couldn't help me...)
  • Joe A
    Hi - Did you check the Keyboard Sensitivity setting [Smart Controls pane "B"] in GarageBand—that's where you'd make an adjustment specific to GB (see the screenshot below).. Btw, the Kbd Touch options on the Nord keyboard shouldn't change the 1-127 range, just affect the response within that range, allowing for a more comfortable touch [harder or softer playing].
  • Student461375
    Fantastic! I had my keyboard sensitivity knob all the way to the right.. Now I have access to the whole range between 1 and 127. Thanks a lot Joe! Greetings from Denmark!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: