macProVideo.com
Forums
  • chazzworth
    Midi notes doubled?
    Hello there! I'm using a Casio PX-320 as a controller, and when I record into GB I just discovered that the notes are being doubled. Any ideas about a way to stop this from ocurring within GB? The Casio is only sending on one channel into my U-Phoria interface, which then sends to my MacBook Pro via USB into GB. Very strange indeed. Help? Thanks for any advice! Chazzworth
  • Joe A
    Re: Midi notes doubled?
    Hi Chazzworth - Normally I'd say that sounds like a MIDI loop -- MIDI going to & from the computer interface -- but I'm not clear how the keyboard is gettigng MIDI into the U-Phoria interface and then to the computer. The only U-Phoria that came up when I searched is UM2, which only has one USB connection and no traditional MIDI (DIN) inputs, unless there's a different U-Phoria model..? I suppose it could be some kind of hardware issue with the Casio -- maybe the keys are bouncing, or maybe there's some kind of utility page setting..? Check and see if the Casio is transmitting two zones/ports (different MIDI channels?) at the same time -- maybe that could be the source of the doubled notes.. Unfortunately the PX-320 is apparently a discontinued model and I can't find any documentation on it, so I can't be more specific..
  • chazzworth
    Hi Joe! Thanks for your response. I agree with you...seems like a midi loop. The Previa PX-320 was discontinued a while back, but it has midi in and out ports. I plugged the midi out into the Behringer UMC404HD midi in, and then the USB port carries the signals to and from the MBPro. I am able to adjust which channel the Casio operates on. I will try a different channel than 1 to see if that changes anything. I don't have a zone option on the Casio. Quite frustrating, I must say. I wish I could view the individual midi events in a list, or some way to at least delete the duplicated notes other than one at a time, which is the only way to keep one of the two notes! Thanks again!
  • Joe A
    Hi Chazzworth - Ok, that setup -- keyboard DIN MIDI to Interface, USB to Computer -- seems normal. I still think it must be some setting in the keyboard. I did find a MIDI implementation [technical] manual, but it was no help. Here are a few generic troubleshooting suggestions.. - If you haven't already, do a hard computer shutdown/restart - Test/reset the MIDI setup in the macOS Audio MIDI Setup utility - Reset MIDI Controllers in GB's Audio/MIDI Preference tab - Check if the same thing happens in other GB Projects - If possible check if the same thing happens with a different DAW - If possible check if the same thing happens with a different MIDI keyboard The general consensus online seems to be the dual layer/zone thing, but the [poorly written] technical manual didn't cover the Casio's features, so no way to determine if that might be the case here.. I guess you could do a search for MIDI monitor utilities, maybe there's a free one out there that still works.. Note that Logic [along with many other DAWs] shows the incoming MIDI data, and has a quick command for deleting duplicate notes, and larger DAWs often have options for filtering out duplicates [either on input or after the fact]..
  • chazzworth
    Hi again! Well...after attempting the troubleshooting advice you suggested, as well as bypassing the interface and connecting directly via USB, nothing changed. I adjusted the midi channel for the Casio to 2 from 1 and the midi notes are now not doubling. I changed back to channel 1 and the doubling resumed, so I guess I will use channel 2! Thanks for using your time and thought energy to try to assist me. It is greatly appreciated!
  • Joe A
    Hi Chazzworth - So it was something odd with the MIDI data being transmitted by the Casio. At least you found a workaround, even if the reason for the channel 1 behavior remains a mystery.. :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: