macProVideo.com
Forums
  • TonyB
    Wierd Playback Issue with RX7
    Hi I'm hoping someone may be able to help solve an issue we discovered today. I work for an organisation that restores audio. We use several platforms including Izotope RX7, Cedar Cambridge and Wavelab. We discovered that Izotope is play audio two semitones lower than the other DAWs. We have Izotope and Wavelab on one Windows PC running through a MOTU interface. The other PC is a dedicated Cedar Cambridge machine also using a MOTU. For this particular job, I imported a 16-Bit 16 Khz Sample rate WAV file into Cedar to have a listen and thought it could do with Spectral Repair. When I opened the same file in Izotope I noticed it was playing back at a lower pitch... Here's the rub... I played the same audio file on Wavelab which is on the same PC as RX7 and also played it with VLC and Media Player Classic. Seems only Izotope played it back lower. I then generated 440Hz tone on RX7 and same on Wavelab and yet again Izotope was playing back two semitones lower. I'm sure its an issue with the sound card but I've been unsuccessful in find out what's wrong. Both MOTU interfaces are selected to have their I/Os at 44.1kHz. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • Joe A
    Re: Wierd Playback Issue with RX7
    Hi Tony - Two semitones lower is more or less the difference between 48k and 44.1k sampling rate -- RX might be playing a 48k audiofile back at 44.1k. It could be that the other programs automatically switch the sample rate of the sound card to match the audiofile sample rate, but maybe RX doesn't and you'd have to switch it by hand..?
  • TonyB
    Hi Joe Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the delay in replying. It turns out this is what's happened although the MOTU card is mysteriously switching intermittently between 48 and 44.1.. So I'm monitoring the situation to see if its a driver or a slow death of a 6 year old interface thats used every day.. Thanks again mate
  • Joe A
    You're welcome. My [much older] MOTU just died suddenly a few weeks ago, so cross your fingers ;-) It is normal, though, for the MOTU to automatically switch sample rate when you open a song/file that uses a different sample rate then the one currently set, so that could possibly account for the rate occasionally changing..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: