macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Brad
    Re: Error during download of izotope's plugins
    Hey Guys, I figured out the issue with installing iZotope RX7 on macOS Catalina. This will also probably work for other plugins as well on Catalina, although I have had any issues with anything else yet. if you go to iZotope's website it will say it's a permissions error and to fix it you need to right click on the downloaded file (installer) and "get info." Then change the "staff" permissions to read & write. DISCLAIMER: This didn't work for me, but I also purchased my RX7 through Splice, so the installation process is a little different. That being said, if you'd like to try the below steps they should work if you're on macOS Catalina. WARNING: Before following the steps below make sure to back up any files located on your desktop and documents folder (desktop & document folder on the iCloud tab in Finder). Technically this isn't necessary, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. I backed them up to an external drive myself. INSTRUCTIONS: Step One: Click on "System preferences" (under the Apple icon) Step Two: Click on "Apple ID" in the upper righthand corner of the window Step Three: Next to iCloud select the "Options" button Step Four: Deselect "Desktop & Documents Folders" A window will pop up and say: If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and Documents folder on this Mac and will remain available in the iCloud Drive. Step Five: Select "Turn Off" At this point two things will happen. All of your files on your desktop and documents folder will disappear. A new Documents folder will now show up in the Favorites Tab in the finder window where it used to be. This folder will be empty. However, if you go to the iCloud tab in the finder window you'll see the files are still there under desktop and documents. Step Six: Install RX7 After RX7 has finished installing you can either turn the Desktop and Documents folder option back on in the iCloud preferences or leave it off. It's up to you.
  • Joe A
    Interesting.. I'm guessing if it really is a Permissions issue then the workaround you used must have ended up with a newly-generated Documents folder with appropriate permissions. Still, it does seems a bit drastic.. How did you work out that method—was it a recommendation from iZotope tech support? I gather that Splice has their own installer? Were you able to try downloading/running the iZotope installer directly from iZotope's website, or was that not an option?
  • Brad
    No recommendation from iZotope directly other than what they posted on their website, which I tried and the install still failed. I came across an article online talking about the documents folder and it sort of caused a lightbulb to go off. From there I just put two and two together. Splice does have a different way they install, but in a way it’s still the same method. When you click on install from the Splice app it downloads the iZotope installer and you go through the same process from there. I did try the installer from iZotope, but before I had made the changes. Since I got it to work from Splice I didn’t see the point in trying out the iZotope installer again. Yes, if you turn your desktop and documents folder back on in iCloud it will create a new Documents folder (labeled whatever your login name is), but it puts everything back and then you just need to go through it and get rid of any duplicates, which you can either do by hand or using an app that’ll do it for you. The ladder is the easier way, but some people don’t trust those programs. This is only the case for the documents folder once you turn the iCloud back on. The desktop will be exactly as you left it. If you choose not to turn iColud back on and you just copy everything back into the Documents folder that gets generated from removing iCloud from your system (for the desktop and documents), then you won’t have any duplicates. That’s why I said it was optional if you wanted to turn it back on. Either way if you back up your files there’s really no risk.
  • Joe A
    It does sound like Splice just accesses the regular iZotope installer.. I assume you've made iZotope aware of the continuing need for a workaround—hopefully they'll be able to work up a more universal solution eventually. Anyway, good sleuthing, and thanks for posting the clear step-by-step, it should be helpful for anyone searching for an interim solution. And as you said, it's yet another reminder to maintain comprehensive current backups at all times! :-)
  • Brad
    I did contact iZotope, but they haven’t responded as of yet. No problem. Hope it helps.
  • Student481957
    Found this while trying to fix the same issue in Big Sur. I'm in IT and threw just about every idea I had at it, and the ideas listed here - not a lot of fixes found and iZotope clearly needs to update their install methods for the new security features of Catalina and Big Sur, at least for the Neutron 2 and Ozone 8 dmgs I struggled with. I'm pretty confident that's the root cause because I reconstructed the same exact install process across Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur all at once, and only Mojave succeeded - and I did adapt for Catalina+ and grant full disk access without any new success. What did finally work was capturing the installed files as a dmg using JAMF Composer, and "installing" (copying) the files in that dmg from my test VM to the production machine. It worked! It might be a bit advanced, but what you should know is you can copy installed files from a Mojave machine to one with a newer OS. It also means you could install your product on a Mojave device (or even external/separate drive/APFS volume running a Mojave install) and upgrade install to the OS you want over the top of it, etc. I can think of a dozen ways to get creative with it, and I want to be careful not to post anything too granular and specific because it probably wouldn't translate to everyone else to well. Just hoping this success story can serve as a hint to anyone else looking to craft their own workaround, or to iZotope to get this fixed for good.
  • Student199299
    Hey Student481957 - I'd love to figure out a way to do some version of what you did. I'm on Big Sur and already have an install of Neutron 2 advanced and Ozone 8 adv on another machine (can't remember if its a sierra or mojave OS off the top of my head). Would you be willing to say a little more about what one needs to do?...some context/questions - - Installing on a mojave device and upgrading to big sur is a no-go for current machine, already has big sur installed and too new for mojave anyway. - Could I do a manual transfer of all the installed files, just grab them and put them in the right place on the Big Sur machine? - Could I attach the new machine to the old machine as a target drive and run the installer(s) from the old machine, but have it install on the Big sur machine? - If the only solution involves using a "JAMF composer" in the install chain somewhere, is there a little more you could say about that to get me going in the right direction? (I'm no IT guy, but reasonably good at figuring things out with some breadcrumbs ;-). Rant time: so annoyed with izotopes continual prioritization of selling updates over getting the kinks out of existing software. Been a customer for years, literally own every single product they sell (including nuetron 3 adv and ozone 9 adv) but have often run into bugs they just don't fix. And in this case, I have to maintain a degree of backwards compatibility and desperately need at least neutron 2 and ozone 8 to function on the new OS. I can't believe the fix is as simple as tweaking their installer process yet they still haven't done it after all this time (and their reverbs don't work on Big Sur either!). OK, sorry for the rant, but I'm getting ready to waste several hours on a work-around right now bc of this very issue..grrrrr... ;-). Thanks in advance for any insight...
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: