macProVideo.com
Forums
  • aspsa
    Mac Configuration Recommendation
    I am in the market to purchase either an iMac Pro or a Mac Pro (stand, not rack). Obviously, the latter is more extensible, but the iMac Pro specs and options appear to be quite powerful. So, here is my question. From your experience, assuming I want to fully leverage the iZotope music production suite, whereby I place Neutron 3 across most or all of a fairly high track count (48-64 tracks), along with Ozone 9 on individual busses and/or on the master buss, Nectar 3 across my vocal tracks, etc., what is the minimum CPU / memory / graphics card configuration that I would require on an iMac Pro? On a Mac Pro? Consider the fact that an iMac Pro "requires" one to visit an Apple store to upgrade memory capacity and that there is only a total of four slots for its memory sticks, with a maximum 256 GB memory capacity, it would make sense to configure an iMac Pro minimally with 64 GB of RAM. From a practical usage perspective, I do not know if I should opt for a higher CPU cycle speed with fewer cores or more cores with a lower CPU cycle speed. I assume the previously mentioned iZotope apps are multi-threaded, in which case my guess would be to opt for a higher core count. Your recommendations are very much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Joe A
    Re: Mac Configuration Recommendation
    Hi Aspsa - Normally I'd suggest maxing out the RAM to start with -- as the old expression goes "you can't have too much RAM" -- but considering the options [$$$] if there's no video involved I would think 64GB should be enough for audio projects. Except for some of the really high-end CPUs, speeds have mostly topped out around 3-3.5GHz or so, so I would think you'd be best off going for more cores. You didn't mention which DAW you're working in; some [most?] DAWs divide a mix by assigning different complete tracks [or groups of tracks] to different cores -- I know Logic does this, though I can't say for sure about Pro Tools and others -- so if that's the case then you'd likely get further with a mix that has a high track count and lots of plug-ins with a lot of cores to handle them all. Anyway, just off the top of my head that would be my best guess..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: