macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student323872
    MIDI notes shift notes after a while for no reason
    Hi, I've been having this issue for a while, I'll be drawing notes in my piano roll and for some reason after a while the notes shift their key! although the midi drawing is still in the same note, it sound a couple steps up, then I move EVERYTHING to match the key I want for the song and for no reason I shiftes back to the normal sound after a while and now it sounds lower, so I have to take ALL the MIDI notes again a couple steps up, and so on and so on. Is there a way to fix this? this is making my writing process super slow, I'm using Logic Pro X 10.5.0 on Mojave 10.14.6 I think is merely a MIDI issue because all the audio tracks still sound the same, no key shift.
  • Joe A
    Re: MIDI notes shift notes after a while for no reason
    Hi - It sounds like you may be accidentally changing the Transpose value in the MIDI Region Inspector (in the Inspector pane at the left) -- when a Region is selected, that setting Transposes recorded MIDI notes without permanently changing the MIDI data in the Region. There's a View option (in the Piano Roll pane View submenu) called Region Transpose -- if it's on (checked), when the Region Inspector Transpose value is changed the note display in the Piano Roll will reflect that (the notes will be visually displayed at the Transposed pitches); but if that option is off (unchecked), then the notes will visually remain at their original pitches even thought you hear the Transposed pitches (per the Transpose setting in the Region Inspector). From what you described it sounds like maybe that could be what's happening? Off the top of my head it's the only reason I can think of why you'd see notes displayed at certain pitches but hear different pitches in playback..
  • Student323872
    I tried unchecking it but it still happened, I have no idea what else could be, maybe some glitch from Logic, it never happened before, it started happening a little bit a few months ago, but now it happens more regular to the point that it's impossible to write music in it
  • Joe A
    Ok I thought of something else it might be.. Maybe there's some stray MIDI Pitchbend data getting into the Region(s) -- that could cause you to hear different (pitch-bent) pitches while the notes are still displayed as the original pitches.. If a particular Instrument track is selected, it could even be PitchBend data from the physical wheel on the currently-attached keyboard shifting the notes (especially if the wheel is a little loose or glitchy)..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: