macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hricco
    Logic Pro 7 vs Protools need help
    Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of work in logic lately, I find myself starting up logic more often, using it to do more and more jobs. the thing is I'm a longtime Pro Tools user, at least the last ten years or so. I got a call from a local singer guitar player who I have done some tracks for in the past, he likes my studio and the sound we get for him. So this time, I decided to use Logic Pro for his session, to see how the workflow was, and if I could really use it in a real world situation. The first thing the guy says is "you got rid of the protools rig?" He seemed very disappointed, and almost mad, thinking he wouldn't get the same sound as before. I explained that I'm doing a little test in the studio to see how this software functions, and if he would just humor me. If it is not flowing well, we will jump over to protools. OK that said. I love logic, I'm thinking of selling my HD2 system and investing in some apogee converters and interfaces, the Symphony stuff looks great. However, I don't want to make a move like that, if my business is going to suffer because I'm not a "Pro Tools Studio" Has anyone run into anything like this? I would really like to hang my hat on Logic, and have it be the main program for tracking and mixing. I know it really doesn't matter which program you use, they are all basically the same, but customers and musicians have this "PROTOOLS OR NOTHING " attitude and they really don't even know why. Anyway, any thoughts would be great. Thanks
  • Joreg
    Re: Logic Pro 7 vs Protools need help
    Hi H, I can understand you perfectly, it's just tools and you want to use the one that best suit you at a spefic action. I think you only going to loose your time explaning that a diferent program does not change the sound etc. Can you keep both? Don't put 10 years in the can. Keep Protools for those you want, and tell them that Logic it's better for preprodution ;o) and use it when the client will not boss you around. Another thing you may try is different rates, Higher for Protools! :o) Kindly Regards, Jorge
  • Martin
    Yeah, the "perception" value of a studio is a big issue. this is why many people still keep their studio packed with outboard gear (that never get's turned on!). It's easy to justify your cost if artists see tons of gear in the room, not so easy if all they see is a computer and a pair of monitors. Having said that, IMHO you can make songs of superior quality using just software these days. BUT ... it still takes a practiced ear and a lot of time spent learning how sound works!! THAT is what the artist should be paying for ... You may find it's worth your while to keep the pro tools gear, even if you NEVER use it ... that way you can say things like, "oh, I still use pro tools, but Logic is a far better application for tracking and making music. If we need to, we can move over to pro tools for mixing." Of course, you'd never do that, but it's nice to be able to offer the medicine.
  • Hricco
    Martin, I made a mistake, I hit the REPORT POST button on accident, thinking it was the "post reply" button like on the other forums, sorry about that, I'm not reporting your post for any reason, just a mistake. So I think I have the solution, Keeping both is the best bet, but that runs me thin money wise, so I'm going to sell the HD2 system, cards and interfaces, that will give me enough cash to get some apogee stuff, and I'll just build in a DIGI003 rack system, and Run Pro tools LE, This way I get the best of both, and no complaints that I don't have pro tools!! Thanks Guys H
  • Martin
    [quote:11090]I made a mistake, I hit the REPORT POST button on accident, thinking it was the "post reply" button like on the other forums, sorry about that, I'm not reporting your post for any reason, just a mistake. H[/quote] Darn ... now I have to suspend myself from the forums for a while ... :) ... dont worry ... it takes 5 reports for a post to be suspended temporarily, and then I look at it to determine if the post is against our forum ettiquette, or not. Back to the discussion at hand ... i think you've made a great decision. You still have pro tools for those that expect it. You don't have the great conversions of the digi hardware, but you will soon with apogee, so no loss ...
  • Biskopen
    I would suggest keeping your HD2 system and running Logic Pro 7.2 via TDM. That way, you get all of Logic, all of your TDM plugins, and the HD audio quality. I use Logic for all my MIDI / soft synths and scratch recordings. Once I am happy, I transfer my audio to Pro Tools LE / Digi 002. We also run a HD6 system with the ICON. In that case, we just run Logic as a front end to the HD system. Excellent, and you have the best of both worlds! We charge more per hour for the HD system - no one complains.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: