No problem for the questions. It's funny that I woke up on Sunday Morning and thought 'I wanna build a Video Mixer and playback system in Logic' for no apparent reason - and then you posted here with a similar query on Monday!
Well, it's probably best to send you a copy of the project so you can try it out and see how it works.
I haven't tried using Mainstage with it yet - unfortunately I'm a bit short on time to experiment with it a lot right now.
Yes, if you set it up you can play other instruments while controlling the Video playback. Bear in mind that you can map the 'Go to Marker #xx' buttons to respond to a button on your MIDI Controller. I have mine mapped from C7 to G7.
You can embed the audio in the Video and play it that way... However, this may cause a time lag when moving between markers. I basically did the following:
- Set up the movie in iMovie with fades and in the order desired.
- exported it to H.264 etc.
- Imported into Logic and extracted the audio track.
- Opened it in the Sample Editor and set my own transient markers relating to each scene.
- Created Markers at every transient marker.
- Converted the audio region to a new sampler instrument and (because I was building a mixer) opened 8 instances of the sampler instrument on 8 channels. (One for each scene) - you may not need to do this :)
- Split the Sampler Instrument Region into 8 sections and placed them on the corresponding channels (again this might not be necessary for you).
When projecting... you shouldn't lose control of your laptop. It will simply be playing back video in Logic while you trigger Markers, other instruments or play live.
It's difficult to explain as I'm still in the process of designing it and wondering whether it is robust enough for live use... Here's a pic. It shows the Video playing. The markers and Video track and the Video Mixer.
Again, let me know if you want me to send you a copy to see if it's the kind of thing that could work for you.