macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tobias Sebastien
    Modulation/Expression recording
    Hello, I can’t find a setting to solve the following problem: When I record mod/exp over existing mod/exp data logic merges both, the previous curve and the ne recording, rather then overwriting it, which is what I need, but ONLY overwriting the mod/exp NOT the midi notes. Where is that setting? Thank you
  • Joe A
    Re: Modulation/Expression recording
    Hi Tobias - I don't know of any way to get Logic to differentiate between MIDI Note data and Controller [Mod] data, overwriting one but not the other [apparently Ableton lets you do this but not Logic AFAIK]. I'd think the easiest way to overdub modwheel data would be: - Turn on the Automation display in theTracks area; - create a second lane; - set it to display the existing Modwheel data; - select/delete the mod data you want to replace; - overdub new modwheel data in Merge mode. Alternatively you could separate the Note data and the Mod data: - Turn on the Automation display in theTracks area; - make a duplicate track with the same Instrument (Command-D?); - copy the Region with notes and mod data to that track; - strip the mod data out of the original track; - strip the note data out of the copy; - record in Replace mode over the mod data in the copy. The second way might be more convenient if you need to do multiple replacement passes of just Mod data..
  • Tobias Sebastien
    Hello, Thank you for your reply. You suggested to create a second lane, is there a way to show Modwheel and Expression data at the same time? With the second method I fail to see how that would work and the second track would react to the Modwheel and Expression data being played when the notes are on another track
  • Joe A
    If you create a second track lane that points to the same channel strip as the original track, then modulation data in that second track will affect the instrument in the original track, since both tracks point to the same channel strip/instrument. To see multiple types of Region Automation data in a track, enable the Automation display in the Tracks area (shortcut "A"), set the track display to Region, and click the little tab at the lower left of the track header to display multiple [Region] Automation lanes for data in that track.
  • Tobias Sebastien
    Oh wow, that answers another question I had, about the automation lane on the track not showing the automation of the region. Thank you. And how do I merge the mod/exp data into the track with the notes in the end?
  • Joe A
    Just select both Regions [notes & CC data] and hit Command-J to merge the two Regions together into one.
  • Tobias Sebastien
    Perfect, thank you very much
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: