macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student483897
    Mainstage with a foot pedal to advance patches
    Is there a standard foot pedal people use that works well with mainstage to advance advance patches? I'm using mainstsge 3 with a MacBook pro catalina. I bought 2 different foot pedals so far and it never works right. It either sends too many messages or skips patches. I have been on the phone with support from Apple and the pedal companies both of who say it's the other product causing the problem. My thoughts are it could be my computer only has thunderbolt connectors so I have a USB adaptor or because I'm connecting it directly to the computer and not the keyboard. I need a pedal that connects directly to the computer because I will be traveling and using different keyboards wherever I go, so the pedal I use has to be separate from a keyboard. Also, all the stores I call does not have any idea and tries to sell me on pedals I have already bought. If I have a pedal that has a history of working I can narrow down where the problems are Any thoughts, this has been very frustrating
  • Joe A
    Re: Mainstage with a foot pedal to advance patches
    Are you talking about a standard keyboard sustain pedal that's set up to advance a patch each time it's tapped, or some kind of dedicated preset footswitch? All the standard foot pedal switches I can think of are designed to plug in to a keyboard via a 1/4" connector-- how exactly are you connecting to USB, or are you using a fancier footswitch with a MIDI DIN connection or direct USB output? If you are using a sustain pedal, keep in mind that some may look like simple on-off switches but actually can output a continuous stream of MIDI data -- maybe that could account for too many messages or skipped patches..?
  • Student483897
    I can't use the 1/4 inch plug because I have to connect it directly to my computer. I wouldn't know how that would work. This pedal I'm using now is a Soleman source audio SA165. It has a USB out that is going to a thunderbolt adaptor directly into my computer. But I would be open to buying another that is already used by someone.
  • Joe A
    Looking at that pedal's specs, it seems like it should be exactly what you're looking for -- intermittent issues are always the biggest pain to troubleshoot. I assume you've thought of it (or someone at Apple or the pedal company has already suggested it), but one thing to try (if you haven't tried it so far) might be a different cable -- Thunderbolt is very finicky about cables, some USB cables that use the same connector will not work well (Apple computers can be finicky about adapters other than the ones they make). I assume the company that makes the pedal confirmed that it should work over USB->Thunderbolt.. Sorry I can't recommend a specific alternate pedal, but maybe another regular MainStage user will have a suggestion..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: