macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MikeThomas
    Import PDF score with Sibelius
    I need an application where I can import music sheets from PDF and then add/remove/change, etc. In the past I have manually copied the notes from the music sheet into Logic Pro's score editor. That's a very tiresome and time consuming affair. I don't play the piano very well, so it would also take me forever to play the music into Logic Pro with my MIDI keyboard. Some time ago I downloaded the Sibelius 7 trial version but I never really had the time for using it within the 30 day period. I still have Sibelius on my laptop and I can use it with some restrictions. When I am in Sibelius' Import picture there is a feature called 'PhotoScore' and it claims that I can 'Scan in printed music or read PDFs, then send them back to Sibelius to edit, transpose, play back or print'. I cannot use this feature — probably due to the restrictions — so I don't know if this is the right application for my needs. Now, my questions to the Sibelius wizards are; Does the PhotoScore feature work at all? Is it worth spending money on? Is there any other/better (and also a student friendly priced) application that you would recommend instead? Regards Mike
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Import PDF score with Sibelius
    I'm not a Sibelius user, but Photoscore definitely looks like your answer. Anyone else here use Sibelius that can give some feedback on this feature?
  • Sypuroi
    You'll get a much fuller response at the Sibelius user forums, but you should, theoretically get great results with a good quality .pdf and photoscore. Be warned though, the quality is almost entirely dependent on the quality of original you've got. I used to use it tonnes, and got to the point of getting extremely usable results, but you'll always have to do a bit of tweaking, and that (for you) will also mean learning how to use Sibelius to tidy up the end results. What you probably won't be able to do in 75% of cases is scan in, get a perfect result first time.
  • MikeThomas
    I have downloaded the trail version of PhotoScore, which I can use without using Sibelius. That makes it a bit cheaper if I decide to purchase the full version. You are right, it has a few problems with reading the score if it's a copy of a copy of a copy... Fortunately I can save it to MIDI and change it in Logic Pro. Thanks for the reply. Mike
  • arronlee
    I'm not very skiiful in this field. I wonder is there any differences between this PDF app published by Yiigo and recommended by one of my friends and yours? who can tell me? Many thanks! Sincerely, Arron
  • Donna111
    Hello For me ,i've never tried to the photo score before.I usually import ,scan or edit the pdf files using another pdf processing control.It's powerful enough,but it also costs me some money.So is there any free pdf processing control which supports to import or edit multipage pdf files?Thanks.
  • Mykufii
    Sure you can drop a .PDF file into Sibelius but it can only be done via the full version of Photoscore - the freebie version can'tdo it. Be prepared to have to edit your score as well; especially if it has lyrics and lots of dynamic markings etc. BTW i have only done this in the PC version - I am sure that it is ok in a Mac.
  • Mykufii
    Sure you can drop a .PDF file into Sibelius but it can only be done via the full version of Photoscore - the freebie version can'tdo it. Be prepared to have to edit your score as well; especially if it has lyrics and lots of dynamic markings etc. BTW i have only done this in the PC version - I am sure that it is ok in a Mac.
  • Mykufii
  • Mykufii
    Sure you can drop a .PDF file into Sibelius but it can only be done via the full version of Photoscore - the freebie version can't do it. Be prepared to have to edit your score as well; especially if it has lyrics and lots of dynamic markings, etc. BTW i have only done this in the PC version - I am sure that it is ok in a Mac.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: