macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student460196
    MIDI USB cable, no input/output
    Hey everyone, I am having an issue hooking up my digital piano to my computer via MIDI USB cable I have a Yamaha digital piano and a MacBook Air. Last weekend I bought a MIDI USB cable and it worked great! I plugged the MIDI OUT to the IN, and the MIDI IN to the OUT, plugged in the USB to my computer, it automatically synced, and I could use my piano playing program Playground Sessions just fine. The note I played on the keyboard showed up on my computer no problem. Throughout the week there was a slight glitch in the program, marking a note that I didn't play, so I uninstalled the Playground Sessions software and reinstalled it. After I did that, now when I plug in the MIDI USB cable, the keyboard and computer do not sync. When the cable is plugged in to the computer, the MIDI light is on showing it's getting power, but neither the IN or OUT lights are on, so it's like a MIDI input or output setting is not correct. I didn't change anything setting-wise, I just reinstalled the piano software. I have tried changing the MIDI IN and OUT ports in to the piano, but still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the MIDI input/output correct again? Thank you!
  • Joe A
    Re: MIDI USB cable, no input/output
    Hi - Assuming you tried the usual troubleshooting steps (shutdown/restart, disconnect/reconnect the keyboard, etc), maybe the keyboard itself also needs to be reset..? Also, you should open up the AudioMIDI Setup utility (MacHD->Applications->Utilities) and check it there, using the test option and refreshing the MIDI pane if the keyboard doesn't show up or is greyed out.. For me to try and make a more specific guess you'd have to provide a little more detail: What's the model # of the Yamaha keyboard; what DAW are you using; and (just to clarify) by "MIDI USB cable" do you mean a MIDI-USB converter, with USB on the computer end and old-school MIDI DIN in & out plugs on the keyboard side?
  • Joe A
    Ah, I see, Playground Sessions *is* the DAW (so to speak).. On their support pages there's a reference to a "Configure MIDI Keyboard" (Edit) menu item—maybe that needs to be reset by hand for the re-installed software..? If your Yamaha keyboard doesn't show up there, then a look at AudioMIDI Setup would be the next step.. https://support.playgroundsessions.com/hc/en-us https://support.playgroundsessions.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026051591-How-do-I-set-up-my-keyboard-to-work-with-Playground-Sessions-
  • Student460196
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I tried restarting all components. When I go in to the AudioMIDI setup, I have a "Built in Microphone", and "Built in Output.". It doesn't look like it is even recognizing that it's present, and right now the MIDI IN/OUT are plugged in to the keyboard and the USB is plugged in to my computer, and the light is on, so it's getting power, but no in/output with it. Yes, it's an old school DIN in and out plugs and USB, similar to this... https://www.amazon.com/Converter-LiDiVi-Professional-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B071KLC884. My digital piano is a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-50. It's a little older so no USB port in it which is why i have the older cable. But it worked off that bat so I wouldn't think that should be an issue. Thank you for looking at Playground Sessions' site. When i "Configure MIDI Keyboard" it does recognize that there is a USB2.0-MIDI in Port 1, but when it asks me to play the left most key to sync it, it is not coming through to the software, so it's like it's not getting input from the keyboard to the software, which goes along with neither the in/out lights on the cable being on, but doesn't match with the software recognizing the cable it present, even though it doesn't show up in AudioMIDI setup. All from working a few days ago and just re-installing the software. Thanks!
  • Joe A
    In AudioMIDI Setup "Built in Microphone", and "Built in Output" are audio i/o, not MIDI i/o—you may have to manually open up the MIDI pane [ Window menu > Show MIDI Studio {Command-2) ] If AMS doesn't see the keyboard in that pane, even though it's plugged in, then is it possible there's an additional MIDI driver that needs to be installed along with the application itself that didn't get installed the second time around? (The cable itself says it's plug&play so no driver needed there, but it also warns that it's not compatible with USB 3, FWIW) Another thing that comes to mind—how did you (or did you) uninstall the first version of the software? If something's not fully uninstalled, sometimes there could be a buried component (like a stray older MIDI driver) causing problems—most companies recommend either using a provided Uninstaller or manually removing a bunch of (normally buried) extra components which they list for you—does the manual or the support page provide any guidance on that? I'm not really clear on this, but it seems like Playground Sessions requires some kind of online account? Maybe that needs to be refreshed as well because of the reinstall..?
  • Student460196
    Thank you. In the AudioMIDI Setup, the USB2.0-MIDI does show up. It is grey when unplugged, and when i plug the USB in it turns solid. Also, when i click on the "enter test MIDI setup mode" and click on the down arrow for port 1 or 2, the keyboard plays and the "out" light on the midi cable blinks. So the computer is recognizing it is there, and from the computer i can make the keyboard make a sound, they just are communicating to each other correctly. I tried removing the device from AudioMIDI setup and re-plugging it in to see if that would trigger a new driver or something, but no such luck. I do have an account with Playground Sessions, and think I'm going to try calling them on Monday when they open.
  • Joe A
    Yes, if AudioMIDI Setup sees the keyboard and can trigger it then the hookup is good—I think you're on the right track, the problem is most likely within the Playground Sessions software itself. Maybe it detected the removal of the first installation and deactivated your account..? Anyway, let's hope their support lines are still up & running come Monday.. :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: