macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student465784
    synching tracks in GarageBand
    I have been creating mixes for my group. There are often 6 of us involved in this, creating vocal and instrumental tracks. Our general process is that one person makes a scratch video, singing and playing. The others then listen on headphones as we watch that video (we find a video makes it easier to try to match phrasing than just and audio file) and record our parts, usually on our iPhones. These files are then sent to me, and I create a mix. The first two songs I did worked perfectly. But lately I have encountered a big problem. In one case, the person who made the original video - on his iPad - also recorded his instrument (cuatro) separately on his phone. But when I try to put the two together, the separate cuatro track runs slower than the video, so they don't synch. On the other hand, I was able to record my banjo part on my iPhone and it synchs perfectly. On another song, I recorded the scratch video, and in this case the cuatro part that was sent me ran faster, as did another vocal harmony part. Any ideas?
  • Joe A
    Re: synching tracks in GarageBand
    Hi - Depending on just how out-of-sync the tracks are, if they're only a little off one of these might be able to bring them back into sync.. - Designate one of your tracks [like a quantized drum track with tight timing] as a Groove Track, and set the problem track[s] to follow it - Open the Editor pane (E) and turn on Flex. Then you could - Try to Quantize the audio - Try to use Flex Markers to manually fix the timing: -- In the Editor pane turn Flex on -- Assuming the Region starts off in time and drifts out of time, grab the last note in the Region [which is assumedly not sitting on the correct beat] -- Drag it all the way forward, and then back to the correct beat This Apple support page talks about Flexing.. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24952?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US and this video shows the use of Flex [though neither demonstrates exactly what I described above]..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: