macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Joe A
    Re: Help with volume
    It sounds like you may have Automation turned on for that track, which would make the level go back to the level of the recorded automation curve. I'm not in front of a computer with GarageBand right now, but here's the relevant explanation from Apple/GarageBand support: https://support.apple.com/guide/garageband/show-track-automation-curves-gbnd939b92d8/mac
  • Joe A
    Hmm.. The only reason I can think of for the level you set on the channel slider in GB to change when you hit Play is if Automation is on for that track. Like I said, I'm not in front of a computer with GarageBand at the moment, so I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I am. I assume when the curves are yellow then automation is on, and it will override any level settings you make by hand..
  • Joe A
    Hi - Yes, so I checked it out in GarageBand.. When the Automation curves [lines] are yellow Automation is active, and when you hit Play it will override any manual setting you might make of the relevant control. Keep in mind that Automation is either on or off for each track, not on in certain parts of a track only, and even if the Automation display is not showing, if the Automation button is on then Automation in the track will play, and override the current manual setting of the control. So if Automation is on you'll have to adjust the Automation curve [line] to the level you want that track to be at in Playback. If you want to temporarily set that track to a different level, you could turn Automation off with the Automation button for that track [curves grey] and manually set the level, and then turn it back on, and once it's back on when you hit Play the level will jump to the recorded Automation level [the level set in the automation curve [line].
  • Joe A
    You shouldn't really need to have playback levels at maximum. I'd suggest bringing down the levels of both tracks proportionally [if a track is automated you'll have to lower the automation line to do this]. AdJust the track levels so there's always at least 10-12 dB more gain available, even if you don't use it. You can compensate for the reduction in listening level by simply turning up the playback volume on the interface, or on the amp/speakers.
  • Joe A
    It seems that you're suffering from an issue of poor gain staging. If you can't make what needs to be your loudest track[s] loud enough, MAKE EVERYTHING ELSE QUIETER ! Reduce the level of all tracks by 6dB or 12dB or 20dB, so when you need to raise the level of any track, there's plenty of room left to dial up the level you need. You don't have to start with all tracks at Unity Gain [0.0] -- maybe start with all tracks at -12, and see if that works when it comes time to crank up the track that needs to be boosted.. If you're already in the middle of a song, reduce the level of all the tracks by the same amount [again, if you're using automation, you'll have complicated this, you'll have to adjust the entire automation line for any tracks where automation is on]. The mix should sound the same [once you turn up the listening level], but you should be able to raise the level of the piano since it won't already be at its maximum. I'd suggest lowering the level of all tracks by at least 12dB. There's another way to approach this, but it involves processing, and I'm not sure if you're ready to deal with that..
  • Joe A
    I didn't say to raise the tracks up to +12 or +20, I said to LOWER the levels of all the tracks to around -12 [MINUS 12] or -20 [MINUS 20].. I'm sure you've noticed that the volume numbers for the tracks are either positive or negative -- a level setting of -6dB is 12dB lower than a level setting of +6dB. The point is that you need to lower the level of all the tracks, so you can raise the level of the piano track to the level you need. For example, let's say you have a song with three tracks -- a Cello, whose volume is set to +2, another instrument whose volume is set to +1, and the piano, whose volume you've pushed up to the maximum of +6 but still need more level. What you must do is lower the levels of all the tracks by the same amount, So, for example.. - Lower the level of the Cello from +2 down to -10 [12 dB lower] - Lower the level of the other instrument from +1 down to -11 [12dB lower] - Lower the level of the piano from +6 down to -6 [12dB lower] - Raise the listening level of your interface/speakers to compensate for the drop in overall playback volume Now your mix should sound exactly the same, but since the piano is now set to -6dB you'll be able to increase the level of the piano, since it's no longer maxed out. A complication is that if you have automation on then to make those adjustments you'd have to drag the automation line[s] rather than move the volume slider[s]. Are you changing the volume of some tracks at different parts of the song? If not [if the automation line is just a single straight line], I would recommend that you turn off automation on all tracks, set the levels with the volume sliders for each track, and then make the adjustments as I described in the example above.
  • Joe A
    Yes, to turn off automation you'd press the automation on/off button [ the _/– symbol more or less ] so it turns from blue to grey. I suspect you must be doing something other than or in addition to what I assume you're doing.. Are these MIDI tracks or Audio tracks? Or a mix of both? If you have multiple Audio tracks, are the waveforms drastically different sizes? If there's a MIDI track, did you play the part very quietly, which could cause the track to be unusually low in level, regardless of the track volume setting? It's hard to suss it out without being there to see exactly what you're doing..
  • Joe A
    Ah, I just saw your last post. Ok, so it sounds like you've got it working now..? Good!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: