macProVideo.com
Forums
  • cubot
    GM Patch re-mapping
    Hi! I'm trying to set up an LE7 nulti instrument with patch names to match my Roland JUNO-D keyboard, as per the Environment Tutorial. At times it seems that the numbers Logic sends to the keyboard are re-mapped to call up the General MIDI patches that my new patch names replaced. Example: In the Arrange window, I select patch 0, which I've renamed JUNO-D Grand in the GM list. Instead of resetting my keyboard to Patch #1 which is the JUNO-D Grand patch, I get Patch #37, which is what Roland calls Piano 1, which is apparantly, what Roland has decreed to be it's GM Grand Piano patch. If I call up higher number patches that haven't been renamed yet, I get the matching GM patch on my synth that I would expect if I was addressing a strictly GM synth, instead of a synth patch that matches the number of the GM patch list. This remapping thing seems to happen for sure when I copy and paste patch names to the GM list, tho it has happened at other times too.Is this a Logic thing, or a Roland thing, and can it be overcome?
  • Christian L
    Re: GM Patch re-mapping
    Make sure you select the right Bank number (Click on the "-" at the left of the program change # in the parameters in the arrange window. ). I'm not familiar with the JUNO-D... check your manual to find the right bank.
  • cubot
    Thanks for the post, Christian. It didn't solve my problem, but I didn't know that the " -" was an access to bank changes, so the info was helpful after all. I/ve talked to Roland, and Roland keyboards need an MSB, an LSB, and a bank change message to properly do patch changes and Logic Express apparently doesn't provide for these messages, at least not directly. The Roland tech thought there might be a workaround, but didn't know what it was. Has anyone come up with this or an environment that works with a Roland Juno-D?
  • Christian L
    You need to go to the environment. Select the Roland JUNO-D Multi-Instrument by clicking once on his name. Go to the Options local menu. Select "Define Custom Bank Messages..." You will get an "Event List" type of window. The Bank select MSB controller # is 0 and the Bank select LSB is controller # 32. Enter the right values for each Bank (check in your JUNO-D manual.) Tell us if it works!
  • Christian L
    Oh... I forgot to explain how to enter new Control Changes events : you need to Command-Click on the fourth icon (it kinda look like a fader). You also need to make sure that this icon is green by clicking on it (otherwise you won't see CC events). Change the "numb" to 0 and 32 and the values to the numbers in your JUNO-D manual. Do this for each bank of your synth.
  • cubot
    Christian It worked great! Thanks so much for your help. I had to go and scramble all 600+ patches into Banks based on LSB numbers instead of like instruments. I don't suppose you can specify multiple LSB numbers for the same Bank can you? At any rate, I now have a multi instrument that I can access for patch changes on the JUNO- D keyboard, and another one that calls up GM patches when I'm in too big a hurry to go patch shopping. Thanks again!
  • cubot
    Oops! I may have goofed. I clicked on Report Post trying to fiind the "This post was helpful" dialog. I suspect I may have provided a negative feedback instead. Not my intention at all. Sorry!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: