macProVideo.com
Forums
  • PandaWatch
    Logic Express 8 tourble
    I am having horrible trouble with my new Apple Logic Express 8. I am fairly new to macs and was impressed enough with GarageBand to want to try another program (thinking it would be simple much like Garageband), however I was horribly mistaken. I don't know how to do anything. I don't know where to get my loops from (all I see are the loops from Garageband), I don't know how to compose a song. I sadly do not have a midi controller yet so composing is difficult for me since all I know how to do is make single notes apparently. I pretty much just need a tutorial of the basics but sadly the ones provided through Logic Express don't help when you're already lost. (and the ones on your site appear to be far more advanced) Should Logic Express be easier than this? I also feel like my computer is not able to fully run the program as it has already crashed 2 times. Any and all help would be fantastic. I feel like if I don't get something going on Logic Express soon, I will just sell it. Thanks, sorry I am such a newbie. -Amanda
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic Express 8 tourble
    Hi Amanda Welcome to MacPRoVideo! Firstly, don't worry I think you've made a great choice in picking Logic Express. It's true it's not as easy as Garageband but you can do and create so much more. The learning curve is steep but i think with the help of the Logic 8 Core 101 video you'll be flying in no time. It starts off from the basics and will take you through the creation of a song from start to finish. If your computer is crashing you'll need to give us more info about your setup....what mac have you got? how much ram? free HD space? Version of OS X? You are running Logic Express 8? To compose a song, start with one of the templates in the "compose" section when you either open Logic or Select "new". This will be a good starting point to work from. Your apple loops are located in the "loop browser". You might need to drag the finder folder over the loop browser to add them. If, for some reason, you decide not to go for the Logic 101 videos (which are amazing value - and no, i don't work for MPVideo!) then at the very least do read the "Getting started guide" before selling it (this can be found in Logic's Help menu). Hope some of that helps Rounik
  • PandaWatch
    Thank you so much for the advice. I am looking into the videos. I know it's a great program and I just need to give myself some time. As far as my computer set up.... I know I am running a MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz with 1 GB memory. I am on Mac OS 10.4.11 I believe. Am I able to install the program on another computer after installing it on my laptop?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi. No problem! I'm curious as to why you've experienced two crashes already... can you remember what your were doing when Logic crashed? Try repairing permissions (this is recommended procedure to maintain a mac)... go to Applications>Utilities (in Finder) Start the app. Disk Utility. Select your macbook's Hard disk and click "repair permissions". Some people recommend doing this before and after installing new software. Personally, I do this once every week or fortnight. Apple's Logic 8 license allows you to install Logic on 2 computers. However, you cannot use Logic on both computers simultaneously if they are on a network. So the answer is Yes! Cheers & enjoy the videos. Martin is a great educator! Rounik
  • PandaWatch
    I am amazed by all the wonderful help and advice this site offers. Thank you so much. So, back to my question about installing onto another computer....since I don't technically need the disc to use the program, can my friend put it on his computer? Would it still say it's licensed to me?
  • Rounik Admin
    er...technically you can install it on another computer. I'm prety sure you'll need your serial number to license it successfully. That serial number, is suspect would be licensed to you if you have already done an online registration. Of course, you would be breaking your license agreement with apple by doing what you suggest. Now that Logic 8 is soooo much cheaper compared to logic 7 and Pro tools there aren't any good reasons for your friend not to buy a copy or at least buy Logic express 8!
  • PandaWatch
    I see what your saying. Well I read the license agreement and it said I could do a one time permanent transfer of the program to another computer, so I was thinking of just letting my boyfriend have the program and put it on his computer, since I think it would do better on his desktop. Do you think there is a way to do this? Or do you think its just uninstalling it on my computer and installing it on his? I also am looking into those DVD's you mentioned, they seem like a great idea
  • Rounik Admin
    If you want to use logic on another machine you don't need to uninstall it on the 1st machine. Simply use the installation discs and install it on the 2nd machine. Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: