macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Damicon
    SONG TEMPLATES
    Love the tutorials- MUCH quicker and easier to understand than the manuals! This is the kind of question that could have a lot of different answers, so EVERYONES method is welcome!! I used to write songs on an Ensoniq EPS Sampling workstation. The thing I LOVED about it was that you could write your song, go and grab a different disc, just load the SAMPLES and NOT the SEQUENCER data, and listen to your new song playing a totally different bank(S) of sounds. This made for some INCREDIBLE pieces of music that we would have never written on our own, and it was a cool symbiosis of computer/human song writing that fit our image. What would be the best way to recreate that method in Logic 8 Studio? MIDI files are easy enough to load new banks into, but the only way I can think of to do it with AUDIO is to RE NAME the audio from the NEW sound banks to match the OLD audio files so the program places the new samples in the old sequenced points in the arrangement. OR, Using ULTRABEAT for writing the whole song, or the EXS-24, and loading or creating new sample banks for those. But the beauty of the ENSONIQ is that is was one button- "LOAD BANK" and that was it. Can you recommend a way to set up a song sequence template that would be quick, easy, and infinitely re-useable? We used to come up with such great stuff throwing drills where drums used to be, outboard motors where basses were, vocals instead of B-3's that would still arpeggiate into a crazy vocal riff, so anyone who has a method for this please let me know.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: SONG TEMPLATES
    Hi Brian Love the surname! There are a few ways to do this - but none would be one touch i think. 1. Create a template with exs24's and UB's with preset kits loaded as desired and audio tracks etc set up with channel strip settings pre loaded. Save it under File> Save as template. Make a few variations on that and keep saving them as different templates. etc. In your original composition export the midi files (File>Export>...) And to keep your audio file arrangement intact bounce or export them all as audio files. Make sure you start the bounce from 1 1 1 1 until whenever the song finishes. Now, load up a new random template you've created and import all audio files into your audio bin or just drag them from the Finder on to a track in your Arrange at 1 1 1 1. Or... 2. This is a bit more manual and less experimental in a way... Save your current composition. Go through all the channels strips and either reset them or choose random settings (perhaps one's you've made yourself) and Save as... another project name. Instant improvisation and no bouncing needed! 3. This would work well for plug-ins and instruments. Create a template with lots and lots of random channels trip settings on many many tracks (audio and inst). Hide the majority of these tracks. compose as you normally would. Now within your project, Unhide all the tracks and drag each tracks contents on to different tracks with different effects and inst's. Then hide the one's you don't need anymore (no one will ever know what you did ;-) 4. Export all tracks from your composition. Then mute all regions and tracks. Load up an UB on a new inst track. Reimport your newly exported audio files. Load them into the UB and play, play, play! 5. This would work for plug-in effects rather than instruments: Create a template, set up a lot of different buses with a range of diverse and strange channel strip settings. (Try option click and hold to have access to more than bus preset CS settings.) After finishing your composition, route the audio signal from your tracks randomly to different buses. e.g. assign the output 1-2 from audio track 2 (with vox) to bus 20 which contains, say, a ringshifter and delay designer etc) or you can keep the original output 1-2 and send to a variety of buses. 6. I think 5 is enough for now ! Let us know if any of these work for you. Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: SONG TEMPLATES
    Actually... 6. I was just thinking of your MIDI regions. In Logic 101 Martin explains how to create MIDI apple loops (the green ones). Do that with all your MIDI regions and drag them back into the loop browser. Open a new template, drag these apple loops onto inst tracks and their corresponding channel strip settings will load up too. Try selecting different channel strip settings. Again, might not keep your arrangement intact but could be an easy way to re-use your MIDI regions as apple loops in the future! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: