macProVideo.com
Forums
  • rudo
    devices...what do i need for logic express 8?
    i'm very new to this and would like some guidance as to what type of equipment would be a good starting place for me to get my music off and running. i heard the saffire le is a good device...also what kind of keyboard should i purchase on a very small budget...$500 or less is my ballpark for both devices. thanks in advance!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: devices...what do i need for logic express 8?
    Hi again! I just googled saffire Le & found this site: [url]http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Focusrite-Saffire-LE-FW-Audio-Interface-with-Free-SAFFIRELEKIT.html[/url] I'm from the UK so don't know whether this is a reputable place in the States or not. Seems like a very good offer though. It really depends what you need... The saffire is a good place to start I think on your budget. Will you possibly be recording more than two inputs simultaneously, for example... As for the keyboard...I assume you mean a MIDI controller keyboard (one that doesn't have any sounds inside but triggers sounds from Logic and soft synths)? How many keys would you prefer? Are you looking for a keyboard with good key action (weighted keys) or an OK one with lots of knobs and faders you can use to control various parameters in Logic with? I use an Oxygen 8, which is very portable with 8 knobs to help me control some parameters within Logic. Other good ones to check out: M-audio keyboards... M-Audio Axiom 49 looks good Yamaha keyboards Edirol have a popular range too If you're more of a drummer you might wanna consider the Korg Pad control. Hope that helps. Buying your first load of equipment can feel scary...it gets more exciting though! Do check out reviews in magazines like SoundonSound and Computer Music. Cheers Rounik
  • rudo
    thanks rounik...saffire le is what you would recommend? yes i am looking at a midi controller, a very small unit. just something that i can use besides my mouse in piano roller. for the life of me i cannot figure out how in the world to use my keyboard as a controller?? any ideas on this for the time being? again, thanks for all your help!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    well I've heard good things about the Saffire but I've never used one before. I think it's a safe choice... Best to google "review" + "saffire Le" and find more info. I have not heard anything adverse regarding logic 8, saffire Le and/or OS 10.5.1 and it comes with a good selection of freebies too. There are a lot of audio interfaces on the market. Personally I would steer clear of M-audio as some claim they don't work so well with Logic. As for using your keyboard (computer keyboard) as a controller press the capslock key and a mini keyboard appears which maps a piano style KB on to your computer's KB. If you haven't already done so I'd highly recommend getting the Logic 101: Core Logic 8 tutorials and checking out chapters 81-86 specifically. Cheers Rounik
  • rudo
    rounik, you rock...thank you so much for your help again...i'm so sorry i am really stupid when it comes to this stuff but i really want to know. just got the tutorials but have lacking on finding time to get to it in it's entirity!!! happy new year!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Rudo No problem. Glad to have been helpful. Happy New Year! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: