macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Ninja
    Suggestions for Audio Interface
    Hi I'm looking to buy a audio interface in the range of $300 which has the ability to record good vocals and instruments. Any suggestion will be helpful. Another question, Do I also need to get a preamp to work with my audio interface? one last question : ) How do preamps affect recording?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Suggestions for Audio Interface
    Hi A preamp is a device used to amplify the voltage of a microphone. It can also affect the quality of a recording as much a microphone. Many audio interfaces come with built in preamps now. For example my interface, the Presonus Firebox is both mobile (firewire bus powered) and has 2 inputs which are good for recording mics (using xlr or normal jack inputs) and 4 other jack inputs. You can get preamps and audio interfaces separately, but within your budget you might be better looking for an all in one solution. A good quality preamp will give you better quality input from your guitar or mic than a lesser/cheaper one. In the same way to get good vocals a good microphone is also important. Lastly go for a firewire interface not USB. I've heard good things about the following: Focusrite Saffire FireWire Audio Interface Edirol FA-66 6X6 FireWire Audio Interface TC Electronic Konnekt 8 Audio FireWire Interface PreSonus FIREBOX 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Others than are used a lot include: Focusrite Saffire LE 6-In/8-Out FireWire Interface Echo AudioFire4 FireWire Audio Interface M-Audio FireWire 410 Computer Recording Interface These are all under $300 from Musiciansfriend.com (i have no experience buying from here as I'm UK based) Do google these and find out more about them before making a purchasing decision though. Good luck Rounik
  • Logic Ninja
    Thanks for your help Rounik Abhi
  • Christian L
    Also, ask yourself "how many inputs/outputs do I need ?". If you plan to record only one instrument at a time (like a guitar or a vocal), a 2 inputs interface will do. If you'll need to record more than one instrument at a time or if you'll record drums, you will need more inputs. A 2 outs interface will probably do it for you, unless you plan to mix in surround or with outboard gear. Tell us if you have more questions!
  • Logic Ninja
    Hi i was wondering if the Presonus Firebox, that you own, have good vocal recording capabilities, taking into account that a good mic is used.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi It's good at times. I love my Firebox! I've done a few voice over recording jobs using it and a budget pro mic and never had any complaints (yet...) It depends what kind of music you want to record. I do find the preamps a little bit noisy when recording acoustic instruments, vocals and the ambiance at low volumes. But in general these tend to be things I can correct in Logic or SoundTrack Pro. I would like around at all your options. Some friends recommend the Saffire - but again, I haven't used it. One thing to consider about the Presonus Firebox is that if you plan on using it bus powered from your mac it might not work with macbook pro's. I don't know if this is still the case but this was a reported issue when the intel macbook pro's were first released. The Solution was to power it using the power adapter and then remove it after startup and it will remain bus powered... Hope that helps. Rounik
  • Logic Ninja
    I think i will go with the Saffire. Thank you that helped a lot. Abhi
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:29167]I think i will go with the Saffire. Thank you that helped a lot. Abhi [/quote] my pleasure! After you've tested it out a bit we'd appreciate it if you left some feedback on the Saffire in this thread. Could be useful for others looking for audio interfaces in the same price range in the future. Thanks Rounik
  • Logic Ninja
    I just did research on Saffire and the presonus firebox and turns out more people stand by the presonus firebox. so i think i will go with that instead.
  • Rounik Admin
    cool! Good luck and enjoy! Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: