macProVideo.com
Forums
  • RickH
    Request: How to detect and fix phasing problems
    I know on some parts like drums how to correct phasing problems. I just discoverd that I can fix this using the gain plugin on a track which has this option. But I'm wondering if there is a tool or way to analyze a track or whole song for phasing problems using tools or techniques I'm not aware of? Like can a (stereo) delay cause phasing problems? Etc.. Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Request: How to detect and fix phasing problems
    Hi Rick The Gain plug-in is useful for fixing phase issues. The Linear phase EQ is great too for preserving phase of the audio signal. The Correlation meter and Multimeter will also display phase issues in real time (find them under Plugins>Metering) To analyse a track for phase issues you can use Sound Track Pro's Analysis tools to search for various issues such as 'phase', 'DC offset', 'Clicks and pops', etc. Cheers Rounik
  • RickH
    Thanks for the tips! The thing is how to read the metering and where to place them. I just openend the Correlation meter on a master track and the indicator is far to the right. Now I assume that this a phase problem. Here it begins. Where do I start to hunt down the problem. What is the best way to quickly identify which tracks are clashing?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi. I've just copied the below straight from the Logic Studio Instruments and effects manual (p.128) : "The Correlation Meter displays the phase relationship of a stereo signal. -A correlation of +1 (plus one, the far right position) means that the left and right channels correlate 100% (they are completely in-phase). -A correlation of 0 (zero, the center position) indicates the widest permissible left/ right divergence, often audible as an extremely wide stereo effect. -Correlation values lower than zero indicate that out-of-phase material is present, which can lead to phase cancelations if the stereo signal is combined into a monaural signal." ----- So if your meter is far to the right that's a very good thing! :-) It is also possible to reverse the phase of an audio file for correcting phase cancellation errors. In the Sample Editor Choose Functions > Invert. For more details on this (I have no experience trying this out yet) look at p.500 of the Logic Pro 8 User Manual. Personally, if I had phase issues I'd also go to Soundtrack Pro. It's analysis tool works offline and is easy to use. You can also send an audio file to STP from within Logic. Options > Audio > Open in SoundTrack Pro (Cmnd - W). Cheers Rounik
  • RickH
    Aah the manual, why didn't I think of that! :) I'll read up on that stuff.. haven't touch the manual in quite some time. Thanks for your help and time! Rick
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: