Hi Guys and Gals
I recently had a question regarding scoring for strings. I wanted to know if it were possible to switch between say pizz and arco on the same track so that my score could be continuos. i.e. if you have a score that has pizz markings in it, your track will still play legato, if that's what you started with in the EXS 24.
I solved the problem by creating a new sampler instrument in the EXS 24, which includes all the different string possibilities like pizz, staccato, legato, tremolo, and trills. I've set it up so that each of these possibilities are triggered at a different velocities i.e. 0-50 is pizz, 50-60 is staccato etc...
So basically, now when I score, I can just alter the velocity of events in the piano roll and mark the corresponding events in the score, and voila, no need to jump between tracks to get a string quartet with many different kinds of techniques.
- open the esx 24
- click edit
- select instrument: new then name it
- select new group
- name it eg. pizz
next step is to find the files
- go to library, app support, garage band, instr library, sampler, sampler files, then choose your instrument, cello in my case
- open up the pizz file
- select all the files
- drag into the edit menu of the esx 24
- it will ask how you want them imported, choose the drum option
- usually each file covers only one not, you must stretch them to cover at least two notes
- click view and select velocity range
- select all files
- check the box for velocities
- scroll on the numbers you want to set eg. pizz should only occur between 50 and 60
- repeat the aforementioned steps with the other string techniques
now step input your part (or play it in),
after the part is in, select all the events and double click on one to open the event menu
- click on functions and select transform, fixed velocity
- now all your events will be at 100
- go back and select a range that you want to be in pizz, use the velocity tool to scrub it to 45
you should now have a track that plays at least two parameters.