macProVideo.com
Forums
This thread relates to...
Final Cut Pro 205
Pro Audio Techniques
by: benbalser
More Info
  • Student486766
    Record audio from different device (not from camera)
    Hello all, I hope this is not a total newbie question or FAQ. I want to make a piano recording from a digital piano with the piano sound being generated on the computer (Pianoteq). In order to achieve best audio quality I would like to route the Pianoteq output directly into FCP using a tool called Loopback. However, I cannot find a setting for the audio input in FCP. I can only select a camera and use its builtin microphone. Previously, I recorded the music separately as MIDI, then converted it to WAV and added it as a new track to the video, synchronized using a cue. But I would rather like to skip this step. Am I overlooking something or ist it just not possible? -Heinrich
  • Joe A
    Re: Record audio from different device (not from camera)
    Hi Heinrich - I'm not a FCPX user myself (I'm an audio guy), but it looks like there's a menu where you can select an audio Input as shown in this Apple support page: https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/record-voiceovers-verc1faa9c5/mac I would expect Loopback (or another internal audio routing utility like Soundflower) to be available in the audio Input menu, as shown. In case it helps, I've also attached a FCPX course on audio to this thread -- Video #3 seems to touch on this setting..
  • Student486766
    Hi Joe, thank you for your repply. I am afraid though, that this won't sovle my problem. Maybe i have not desribed my situation clearly. I would like to record a viedo in *one* process, taking video from the camera and audio from the loopback device. The link that you posted and also everything else that i was able to google, seem to describe cases where you have an existing video and want to overdub or replace the existing audio in a second process. It seems that recording viedeo and audio from separate sources is just not possible. -Heinrich
  • BenB
    FCPX was not designed as a live recording app, it will not record from two sources at once. Route your audio to the camera, or record audio to an app like Logic or Audition, video to your camera, and in FCPX you'd make them a sync clip. But what you want to do isn't possible in an NLE.
  • Student486766
    Too bad.. But thanks for your explanation anyway. Are there alternatives to FCPX that can record from two sources at once?
  • BenB
    The most simple thing, and what I'd personally do, is take my audio out of my Mac into my camera. Poof, they'er married, then edit away in FCPX. Aside from that, Google is your friend.
  • Student486766
    Thanks! I think I will stick to my established procedure mentioned in my first post. It will do without any additional cabling and also without any D/A or A/D audio conversion. BTW I am using an iPhone7 as a camera. Quite good! -Heinrich
  • Student486766
    Answering my own question: QuickTime Player does exactly what I want: Record video from my iPhone via Camo Studio (https://reincubate.com/camo/) and audio from the loopback device. -Heinrich
  • BenB
    FCP won't see software connections, only hardware connections.
  • Student486766
    I won't ask if that's a bug or a feature... -Heinrich
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: